Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

buying a used VE.SS sedan

Cattitude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT,VZ, VESS
Hi all just looking to buy a Ve SS, was hoping you guys could help me out with things to watch out for?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Just the usual things really. Smash repairs, strange tyre wear, misaligned panels, engine, (look at the oil), tranny, brakes, steering, electrics, stereo, aircon etc etc. Listen to the engine for any strange sounds dead cold and hot if you can. Check the device history, and revs check it similar. When you drive a car, test it don't just putt around. If you don't know what to look for, take somebody who does. Personally I would steer clear of highly modified ones too, they sound enticing and can be a good buy, but can also be a trap where you're buying someone else's flogged to death fun machine. Good luck.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Im in the market for a Series II VE SS aswell after my 2005 SV6 was written off last week. I think 426Cuda pretty much summed it up.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
There are also quite a few ex Police SS's out there so check who the previous owner was.

VTSSLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 A4 227rwkw
There's plenty of VE-specific things to look for as well. Harmonic balancer wobble, lifter noise, air con belt loose or jumping under revs (fixed on later models), water or moisture in passenger side foot wells (under carpet), knocking from front suspension, and if auto, flaring on 2-3 shift and/or whining in first gear. Neither of those will cause major damage, but can be annoying.

Cattitude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT,VZ, VESS
Thanks guys found a nice looking silver one. Pick it up soon.

Queball

Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda
I've seen a very early (2006) VE SS, extremely low K's (30,000) for a tempting price. Looks mint.

Are there any problems with the early ones that were sorted in later builds? Would I be better off going for a later one?

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Pontiac G8 Manual '10 VE SV6 Manual
I've seen a very early (2006) VE SS, extremely low K's (30,000) for a tempting price. Looks mint.

Are there any problems with the early ones that were sorted in later builds? Would I be better off going for a later one?

Depends if it was auto or manual, I've seen a few posts on here from people needing whole engine rebuilds on the autos.

I'm looking at a Series I SSV at the moment. Looks awesome.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yeah if it's an auto I would check that it has the 9.5 AC Delco lifter update first.

[video=youtube_share;S986_UdNkh8]http://youtu.be/S986_UdNkh8[/video]

Note I said L96 (which hasn't been made yet) when I meant L76 :hmmm:

There's plenty of VE-specific things to look for as well. Harmonic balancer wobble, lifter noise, air con belt loose or jumping under revs (fixed on later models), water or moisture in passenger side foot wells (under carpet), knocking from front suspension, and if auto, flaring on 2-3 shift and/or whining in first gear. Neither of those will cause major damage, but can be annoying.

As above all annoying but bargaining points, except lifters.

Last edited: