Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a VE SV6 Series 11

JamesNotBond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 11
Hey all!

I've just signed up here as I'm currently in the process of buying a VE SV6 Series 11 sedan. But have not yet found one worth purchasing in my price range (low $teens).

For some reason they are more expensive this year than before xmas, as there was a handful for sale then that I missed.

I went and looked at one today, reckon it hadn't been looked after in it's entire life, it certainly looked the part, until I opened the door and popped the hood (scary) so that was a pass.

I'm hoping to get a bit of advice on what to look out for/check when inspecting one.

Any advice would be appreciated.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Service history is essential, with the longer service intervals these engines will sludge up if service intervals exceeded, and many will say the service intervals are too long in any case. Oil filters are small and need changing along with the oil regularly. Ideally a car serviced more frequently than log book advises. Low teens budget will probably make it harder to get low kms well looked after car. If your budget dictates higher km car at least look out for frequent and especially no services have been missed.

Kingcarl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 series II MY 12.5
Hey mate, service history is the main thing as it is with most vehicles. And if you do get one service it regularly I dump my engine oil and change oil filter every 5k.
Drive it nice they can be extremely economical for a big heavy car, I average 11-12km/100 around town and down as low as 6.7km/100 on a trip. Preventative maintenance is key I believe.
How many KM on the clock are you looking for?

JamesNotBond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 11
Hey guys

Thanks for the tips! I wasn't aware of the sludge issue with them, I know Camry's or Aurion's have the problem too.

I'd be looking at anywhere between 100k to 150k kinda range, although km is rather irrelevant if it hasn't been looked after.

The one I viewed the other day only had 120k on it, but the condition of the car was more like 500k. Need to buy from a dealer too (finance company rules)

I have a bit of a love affair with the S models VE's , reckon Holden made them look just right.

Kingcarl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 series II MY 12.5
Hey guys

Thanks for the tips! I wasn't aware of the sludge issue with them, I know Camry's or Aurion's have the problem too.

I'd be looking at anywhere between 100k to 150k kinda range, although km is rather irrelevant if it hasn't been looked after.

The one I viewed the other day only had 120k on it, but the condition of the car was more like 500k. Need to buy from a dealer too (finance company rules)

I have a bit of a love affair with the S models VE's , reckon Holden made them look just right.
There seems to be a direct link between sludge and timing chain issues with these engines keeping the engine clean is important. Mate I think they are a great looking car also.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
They can be a nasty car be prepaid to replace the spark plugs and coils if you can't do that yourself think twice about buying one .

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Just a thought here but why not buy a V8 model and avoid the issues that plague the v6s (timing chains,sludge etc) they really aren’t that much heavier on fuel if your not flooring it everywhere

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Just a thought here but why not buy a V8 model and avoid the issues that plague the v6s (timing chains,sludge etc) they really aren’t that much heavier on fuel if your not flooring it everywhere

I agree but finding a S11 V8 at a reasonable price(& condition)is almost impossible here on the East Coast.
Last year i helped a Friend do the rounds to buy a V8 S11 Wagon from Sydney to Brisbane,hardly anything under $15,000-20,000 and nothing at the Auctions,detailer at one Auction told us the Dealers grab the V8's before the Public even know their listed,high demand and easy to sell apparently.
I was surprised at the prices for the S11 V6 at the auctions,plenty in the $5000-6000 range but a big risk on a unregistered car for the average Joe.