Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a VL (Need help and opinions)

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
Found a nice white VL Commodore November 1987 model, Auto, 111892 and looking to pay about 1k for it. Is that a good price for the model?
Aircon needs regasing, needs a rear tail pipe - rear muffler has a hole in it.

Ill include pics of the cars exterior, interior and engine in this post. Any particular questions i should ask the seller before purchase? What are some key things i should know about this model Commodore i.e handling, engine wear and tear, necessary upgrades?

300fwv7.jpg

2lswo6e.jpg

440k8is.jpg

3177hop.jpg

4g7jztf.jpg

cano1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS stateo 5ltr
Most vl's have been thrashed.

Jules86

The Cream Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL(VeryLow) Commodore Exec.
but with only 111000k's on it, it a staright six it hasn't been under as much pressure as a turbo engine.

A/c might be stuffed aswell, compressor might be gone, but i was quoted 750 to fix that and gased, unless the gas needs to be changed.

Looks clean...listen to the engine, look for leaks and rust, prob will have for 1k but thats good for a nice looking car. Check under the oil cap on the head to make sure its not cracked.

Just remember...money fixes everything.

alsynon

Reaction score
Website
www.fords.com.au
Members Ride
VL Turbo
First thing, totally disregard the speedo reading. They had a habit of stopping. Mine stopped and intermittently from 48,000kms and stopped totally at 61,330kms. I finally got around to fixing it 12 years later.
The seats, gearshuft, steering wheel, and pedals will give you a clue as to the real use.
Standard things to check for are rust under front and rear windscreens, boot floor and channels, engine compression even accross all 6 cylinders, suspension wear etc...pay the RACV man to do an inspection for you if you are not toally sure of what you are looking for fault wise.
The aircon will cost a bit to re-gas if it hasn't been upgraded to the new gas.

VLturbs87

1 TUFF SLE
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE 333 stroker
^ correct about the speedo In vl's they don't mean nothing!!

Back 2 the car check rust in the boot, under carpet **** like that.. Use all the gears In a test drive (ask him/her 2 if there driving)...

If all that Is fine looks like a neat vl for 1k fix the Interior she'll be alright.

goldsix

Reaction score
Members Ride
5spd 86 sl vl
yeah as mentioned above, looks like a pretty good start to me.

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
use a magnet around the front and rear screens to check for plastic rust repairs, these dont last long and new metal is expensive

VLDavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
lc torana. vn v8. ke30.mazda 1300.
use a magnet around the front and rear screens to check for plastic rust repairs, these dont last long and new metal is expensive

its only like 140 bucks for new front and rear panels u weld in around the windscreeen....

also listen to the fuel pump when u fisrt turn the key... if u know how try and do a compression test..

check under the car and look at all the cahssis rails and frames to make sure it hasnt been in a crash..

and check the radiator fluid make sure its got no milky residue in it..
take it for a run get it up to normal running temp and then check for oil leeks that sorta crap..

but it looks pretty straight in the pic

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
its only like 140 bucks for new front and rear panels u weld in around the windscreeen....

also listen to the fuel pump when u fisrt turn the key... if u know how try and do a compression test..

check under the car and look at all the cahssis rails and frames to make sure it hasnt been in a crash..

and check the radiator fluid make sure its got no milky residue in it..
take it for a run get it up to normal running temp and then check for oil leeks that sorta crap..

but it looks pretty straight in the pic

where do you get the panels for windscreen:whistling

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
Got the car yesterday and its in very very good nick. Did some checks myself, got my friend who is a mechanic to do a check, and will have it serviced and properly tuned this weekend. Some minor rust on the wheel arch, and some interior parts need replacing (not to mention the locks also) but overall very satisfied.

Now to do some interior modification, as the SL interior is terrible.