Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying ENTIRE System - Advice Needed !

Drakul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V Calais
Hey guys, I own a 2000 VT Berlina and am looking to buy an entire Audio system for my car. I'm talking headunit speakers amps splits subs and all the wiring..the works.

I have a couple mates who know their stuff and are happy to install the lot for me, but we all thought it was a good idea to ask around and see what everyones opinion is regarding the Best/Cheapest place to get all the gear and obviously the best gear to fit my budget.

I live in Melbourne and my Budget is roughly $1500.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
I suggest some Alpine Type R Components 6.5" for the front, pretty loud and pretty decent quality. Get an amp to power them (my gf has MB Quartz 480 to power them (bridged channels)). Probably go with a Alpine or Pioneer deck (I prefer these over others), look for a deck with 3 preouts. Wiring kit, just aerpro or watever it's called will do ya. Don't worry about back speakers, not worth doing. Sub... thats were the fun starts XD it depends on wat ur after.... quality or SPL.. I used to own a Alpine Type R 12" (think only 500rms tho) which was decent, but then changed to a Hifonic Olympus 2412 (2400rms) which was better imo. You gotta have a listen and ask yourself wat u actually want in ur system. Prob budget for $2000 I thinks would be better.

$235.45 for Pioneer DEH-P410UB 2009 (3preouts) (ebay)
$250.82 for Alpine Type R Components (ebay)
$321.77 for Alpine Type R 12" (ebay)
$342.54 MB Quart DSC 1500.1D (ebay) (power sub)
$324.08 MB Quart 480 (ebay) (power front splits - bridged channels)
This is all from Sonic Electronix (I've dealt with them before.. everything came in excellent condition, all new)
Wiring Kits & possible Dynamat + sub box.

All Items and pricing mentioned are Brand New items. Buy It Now. AUD.

Without Wiring kits or dynamat... ~1500 with what I've mentioned. (double check on the amp for sub, never used it, just a quick glance)

http://stores.ebay.com/Sonic-Electronix-Store - (Don't forget it's in USD.)

Mix and match... any questions give someone on JC a yell.

But we need more info of what your doing and what you want.

Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
It really depends on what your after. $1500 dosen't get you much, when your talking about an entire set up. Rather than all round improvement, i'd be focusing more on an improvement in a particular area. Such as bass, front stage, ect.

E.g , get yourself an aftermarket head unit to begin with, and make sure it's compatible with any future upgrades you might have planned. If you were focusing mainly on bass, then you could get yourself a good sub/amp setup, and leave the stock speakers in place, but run them on a HPF, vis the head unit. Then at a later stage, you could look at improving your front stage. Of course, you could always do it the other way around.

Concentrating on one area at a time, allows you to spend more on each component, and achieve a better outcome in the long run.
You get what you pay for, as with most things, but the differnce between say, buying a $200 sub now, or leaving it out, and buying a $400 sub later, is a big difference. The same goes with the rest of your components.