Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

buying HID kit... need advice!

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I put 55w hids in the h1's of my statesman. The improvement is incredible. The rear housing of the light did need to be modified a bit though and I added an extra relay for switching, but definitely worth it though.

Putting hids in place of the h4's though, I despise....

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I assume the H1's are highbeam, not low? That's fine, as they will be dipped like any other standard globe.
It's not the globes anyone is against (well most), it's them being in the incorrect housings (factory) and blinding every other road user.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
advice? don't install HIDs. Blinds the **** out of other drivers.

When they are not set up right. My FTO had factory HID's and they weren't self levelling, they didn't cause any issues at all. I could see how some w@nker putting these in then having them set too high could cause an issue, but set up correctly to the correct height shouldn't affect other drivers.

Tribble

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 V6 ute
Any vehicle on the road that has a light colour over 6000 Kelvin should enable other road users the ability to shoot the driver, repeatedly.

It really pisses me off when idiots put 8000+ Kelvin (Blue HID) lights on their car cos it looks cool. If a Full Moon produces 4200 Kelvin, a bright day and the sun is 5800 Kelvin, and an Electronic FLASH produces 6000 Kelvin, what they hell do you think other road users see from your headlights?

Nothing, the Human eye will REJECT light over 6000 Kelvin, that's why most people BLINK when a flash goes off and you want to drive around in Blue HID Lamps cos they look cool????
/palm

Edit:
And Towcar, you just proved a point.
You are not always driving in a straight line on a flat grade.
The height of your vehicle and the position you are in relative to the other driver makes the difference.

I just LOVE 4WDs that sit too close behind me and reflect their lights into my rear vision mirror, sure, their lights are setup correctly.
Or coming around a corner and copping a full lightful from a moron that thinks HIDs are fine cos they setup their's correctly ...
Or Morons that sit just to the side of you and reflect off your side mirror.

moodybluebob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore.
^ not meaning to start a debate here but you do know that the 6000K 8000K etc is reffering to the colour *temperature of the lights? not the brightness.

I have HID's in my Vn, never had a problem when it was on the road. had them in both my driving lights and headlights. I also have them in my daily pajero and never have a problem either. set up correctly they arent as bad as people portray them. I wont have a car without putting HID from now on.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Hehe, my exgf in Alaska had 13000k Hid in her explorer... oh that pinkness.