Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BUYING VY SS, Advice Needed.

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
Thinking of purchasing a vy ss automatic would prefer manual but had to be some compromise with the missus so she can drive it too. So my question is how do I get that true v8 sound and performance ? What mods are good for the auto and what type of prices am I lookin at for parts?

Thanks.

P.s missus thinks it's a downgrade going from a 06 ve berlina 3.6L to a 2003 vy SS -.- she doesn't understand v8's cost a lot more so sacrifices have to be made can't win lol

Last edited:

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Go to a reputable workshop, get an over the radiator cold air induction, tune and full exhaust from headers to tailpipe. This will set you back approx 5k. If you can afford to spend more put a manual 3.46:1 manual diff in it at the same time and it will feel a lot more responsive.
I live in Vic so don't know the good workshops on the Central Coast. Get everything done at the same workshop, it will be cheaper and they can recommend the right parts that they have proven to work together and you only have one person to see if there are issues.
For extractors if you want more mid range power, go for Tri Y design. If you are looking to ring its knock ang drive at the top of the rev range to get high horsepower, go for 4-1 design.
When they tune the engine, get them to do the auto as well, they can make it shift a lot nicer than stock.
Driving normaly with these mods, you will see an increase in power and torque and a reduction in fuel consumption.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Your missus is right.

You are going from a '06 VE to a '03 VY. Keeping in mind the platform the VY is based on has been around, largely unchanged, since the VT. You are effectively jumping into a car that technology and performance wise is 18 years old.

And the only benefit is about 30kw. That is assuming the car is well maintained and still around factory power.

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
Hey dgp, good advice so do you mean you can get the auto trans tuned as well? Is the manual dif compatible? With the cai any brand you recommend?
@ Jesterats in a way she's right but since I don't have $18,000 for a ve v8 then the vy is my option you know...

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
P.s missus thinks it's a downgrade going from a 06 ve berlina 3.6L to a 2003 vy SS -.- she doesn't understand v8's cost a lot more so sacrifices have to be made can't win lol

Your missus is right.

You are going from a '06 VE to a '03 VY. Keeping in mind the platform the VY is based on has been around, largely unchanged, since the VT. You are effectively jumping into a car that technology and performance wise is 18 years old.

And the only benefit is about 30kw. That is assuming the car is well maintained and still around factory power.

Pretty sure it's more like 60kw and more importantly 130nm more. If your missus is anything like mine she won't find it a downgrade once she squeezes on those newtons.

Not to mention your pony potential just went from zero to hero.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
My bad, it is about 60kw.

Either way, pretty serious downgrade aside from that 5 to 7 seconds you can use that extra Nm. The rest of the time, smaller, less economical, less comfortable and less safe.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Upgrade to a newer VE rather than going backwards makes so much more sense.

commodore1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore

Either way, pretty serious downgrade aside from that 5 to 7 seconds you can use that extra Nm. The rest of the time, smaller, less economical, less comfortable and less safe.

I don't see how it's a serious downgrade? Maybe the VY isn't as safe and it might not have as much technology but at least the VY looks better than the VE, The VY will be a V8, and it will sound heaps better.

I Haven't owned either a VY or VE but I have had some experience with them. I think the VY is still comfy to drive ad they still have some nice features.

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS

Lol, you're really clutching dude. ANCAP puts a beesdick between the VY and VE 2007-09 unless you're a pedestrian. Personally I agree it's a downgrade on paper, but a minimal downgrade from a first gen VE.

Upgrade to a newer VE rather than going backwards makes so much more sense.

OP probably likes owning his cars as many of us do.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Hey dgp, good advice so do you mean you can get the auto trans tuned as well? Is the manual dif compatible? With the cai any brand you recommend?
@ Jesterats in a way she's right but since I don't have $18,000 for a ve v8 then the vy is my option you know...

if you've got cash to go , go check out the Auctions.