Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BUYING VY SS, Advice Needed.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Hey dgp, good advice so do you mean you can get the auto trans tuned as well? Is the manual dif compatible? With the cai any brand you recommend?
@ Jesterats in a way she's right but since I don't have $18,000 for a ve v8 then the vy is my option you know...

Yes the auto can be tuned to firm up the sloppy shifts in the four speed auto. The diff will go straight in but I say get it all done at the same time because the tune will have to be adjusted for the new diff ratio so your speedo is correct.
I think VCM have a new OTR for the VY VZ series, but personally I would go for a Duspeed unit, they are about $700.

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
OP probably likes owning his cars as many of us do.
Yeah exactly right wouldnt ever get car finance.
Might just wait till I find one that's already got the mods on it.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I don't see how it's a serious downgrade? Maybe the VY isn't as safe and it might not have as much technology but at least the VY looks better than the VE, The VY will be a V8, and it will sound heaps better.

I Haven't owned either a VY or VE but I have had some experience with them. I think the VY is still comfy to drive ad they still have some nice features.

Looks are subjective. VY looks old these days. Though granted the VE does too.

You'll need to explain what 'nice features' the VY has that the VE doesn't.

I've had a a '05 VZ R8, so as far as the platform the OP is looking at, almost top dog. I also had some work so it had the 'V8 sound' and all that.

But what I learnt was that for the 4-5 seconds of acceleration goodness the VZ was the greatest car in the world. Then for the rest of the journey, my 2010 x-trail puts it to shame in terms of comfort.

I mean, this guy clearly just wants a V8, so that's cool. But this missus has already flagged that she feels its a downgrade and well, it is in every way aside from engine output. So he's setting himself up to hear about it every day.

Take it from me, the v8 noises and acceleration wears off and you just start to fault a car. I was able to fault my R8, and then you start to look at the important, subtle stuff.

Lol, you're really clutching dude. ANCAP puts a beesdick between the VY and VE 2007-09 unless you're a pedestrian. Personally I agree it's a downgrade on paper, but a minimal downgrade from a first gen VE.

It's a downgrade on paper and a downgrade in the real world in every single way, shape or form aside from the power and torque. Unless there is a specific need for this, which in this case there is as the OP wants that V8 sound, it would be a downgrade in every way.

I mean, the OP is set on what he wants and good on him. But that V8 sound ain't as sweet it you have a missus bitching about how uncomfortable the car is form the passenger seat. ;)

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Thinking of purchasing a vy ss automatic would prefer manual but had to be some compromise with the missus so she can drive it too. So my question is how do I get that true v8 sound and performance ? What mods are good for the auto and what type of prices am I lookin at for parts?

Thanks.

P.s missus thinks it's a downgrade going from a 06 ve berlina 3.6L to a 2003 vy SS -.- she doesn't understand v8's cost a lot more so sacrifices have to be made can't win lol

Let's start with a basic question, after you get the VY, how much budget do you have left?

I can rattle of an extensive list that would go up to 10K, but that's pointless.

Tell us how much you will have to pay with and we can give you a more informed opinion on what to get in terms of bang for buck.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Jesterarts is correct, as soon as you start modifying, you will continue to spend money.
I have owned VY SS, VZ Clubsport (still have this one), VE SSV, VE SS, VF CalaisV V6,(current daily) and driving the old chassis (VY/VZ) is certainly noticeable compared to the VE and VF which are much more planted and refined. Saying that though, I still thoroughly enjoy getting out in the VZ.

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
Jesterarts. I see were your coming from the novelty will we're off but until then I'm sure I'm going to have a lot of fun been a fan of 8's since I was younger, haha you are spot on with the missus issue I can imagine her nagging in my ear whilst driving and making me punch it & probably loose my license Or it will shut Her up and she will enjoy the v8 roar. I might even look at ve v8 Berlina & Calais as they seem to be a lot cheaper atm save a few more grand... About the mods now you guys have told me about the expense of rather just get an 8 with a induction and exhaust already on it.
P.s sorry for late reply been at work all day.

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Completely understand.

What's your budget post purchase?

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
About $2000 mate. Forgot to add if the missus see's this thread of mine she's going to be like " see even there saying it's a downgrade your not getting a vy bla bla "

LOL. But I was looking on gumtree and car sales found a few ve v8 Calais on there for between $10-12K with around 150-190 kms not bad

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Why don't you take prospective candidates for a drive with her? You're going to have a high km ve for around 5k more vs a low km vy. The safety argument is moot. Personally with the litany of ve and vf's we've had at work I don't know why folk rave about the comfort. It's still a commodore, lol. Go with personal preference as opposed a few forum opinions.