Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BUYING VY SS, Advice Needed.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
About $2000 mate. Forgot to add if te missus sees this thread of mine she's gojn to be like " see even there saying it's a downgrade your not getting a vy bla bla "

LOL. But I was looking on gumtree and car sales found a few ve v8 Calais on there for between $10-12K with around 150-190 kms not bad

If your missus says that, tell her I drive an xtrail. Should discredit my arguments. Haha.

For 2k, you will be on a tight budget. Exhaust system, something like a manta twin 2.5 system with pacemaker headers. Ortcai would be a good idea, orossom or sureflo will do the job. Duspeed are the nicest and have an OEM look.

Once you've done that, I don't see you having any change from 2k.

Something else that is important, a full and major service when you get it. Just because there are stamps in the book, doesn't mean the services were good.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Few months ago I upgraded from a vz v6 to a vz ss. I basically just wanted to upgrade from a v6 to a v8, and so was looking at VE L98s for around the $15k mark, but I also wanted leather, and black. Found a VZ SS that ticked all the boxes, and got it at a good price, a lot cheaper than a VE. Personally I don't think the VEs look very good, there are some nice examples though, I do like the VZ shape better though, and the LS1 is a good motor. I spent a bit of money on a full exhaust, otr, tune, wouldn't expect much change from $2k, even if you can get the exhaust from a wrecker, which I did, budget about $700-800 for a decent tuner. The end result is a far superior drive which you will enjoy more, so it's not a downgrade if you're getting something that you want. I don't care much for any of the new car features. I got leather interior, all black, tinted, electric everything you need to be electric, lowered, better handling, much more power (330rwhp vs maybe 180rwhp from the v6). Your missus will probably enjoy it too when you let her drive it and she puts her foot down.

The guy I got the SS off got it from pickles auctions for $6.8k in 2013, so auctions might be a good way to pick up something cheap. He had about 4 other SS\HSVs in the drive. You could probably get a VE in your budget at auction prices if you shop around.

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
Few months ago I upgraded from a vz v6 to a vz ss. I basically just wanted to upgrade from a v6 to a v8, and so was looking at VE L98s for around the $15k mark, but I also wanted leather, and black. Found a VZ SS that ticked all the boxes, and got it at a good price, a lot cheaper than a VE. Personally I don't think the VEs look very good, there are some nice examples though, I do like the VZ shape better though, and the LS1 is a good motor. I spent a bit of money on a full exhaust, otr, tune, wouldn't expect much change from $2k, even if you can get the exhaust from a wrecker, which I did, budget about $700-800 for a decent tuner. The end result is a far superior drive which you will enjoy more, so it's not a downgrade if you're getting something that you want. I don't care much for any of the new car features. I got leather interior, all black, tinted, electric everything you need to be electric, lowered, better handling, much more power (330rwhp vs maybe 180rwhp from the v6). Your missus will probably enjoy it too when you let her drive it and she puts her foot down.

The guy I got the SS off got it from pickles auctions for $6.8k in 2013, so auctions might be a good way to pick up something cheap. He had about 4 other SS\HSVs in the drive. You could probably get a VE in your budget at auction prices if you shop around.
Haha that's exactly what I'm after v8 with leather and electrics that's enough for me as well, nice mate auctions good idea pretty sure there's one in Newcastle & a few in Sydney...

Edit: Hey ExanVz, signing up to pickles online auctions now looks Interesting might be the way to go mate

Last edited:

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Haha that's exactly what I'm after v8 with leather and electrics that's enough for me as well, nice mate auctions good idea pretty sure there's one in Newcastle & a few in Sydney...

Edit: Hey ExanVz, signing up to pickles online auctions now looks Interesting might be the way to go mate

just make sure you open their web site and auction program with Explorer, as it'll work better and don't freak out on load time as it'll take a few to 5 mins .

To get an idea of what a cars worth check out the redbook trade-in price range , no one pays more then this,
that said if you're prepared to go a few hundred over you'll get the car.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
If you decide to go VZ try and find a 2006 with the 6litre (L76) donk.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I don't know you budget, or personal preferences, but a couple of things to consider.
How many Ks on the VE, and as it is a 2006 model........ the timing chain problem ?
I had to hire a SV6 in 2009 after a fool reversed into my CV8.....after that, I was very tempted to upgrade to a VE something, it handled better, rode better, went nearly as hard as daily driver, and was very comfortable....but it didn't have a Monaro nameplate.
My advice, forget the VY SS, take your time and find a VE SS that fits your requirements.
Remember, a happy wife = your happy life.