Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bypassing heater core ?

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
1987 VL Calais Walkinshaw
yes - but I dont know why. Depending on the engine you can do it at the engine where the pipes come in/out or you can do it at the firewall by unplugging both and joining somehow (piece of pipe normally).

Wont kill anything if you loop it but dont simply block the pipes.

Q

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
yes! but you will have no windscreen demister.
pain in the @rse and a defect.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
yes! but you will have no windscreen demister.
pain in the @rse and a defect.

Yes you will, and no it isn't. The regulations state that you must have air blowing on the inside of the windscreen, not warm air. The fan will still work, just not blow warm air.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Yes you will, and no it isn't. The regulations state that you must have air blowing on the inside of the windscreen, not warm air. The fan will still work, just not blow warm air.

hmmmm, thats the thing i love about ADR's, its all down to interpretation:

23. DEMISTING OF WINDSCREENS
very motor vehicle having a windscreen must be fitted with a device capable of removing condensed moisture from the inside of the windscreen. This requirement does not apply to LA, LB, LC, LD or LEM vehicle categories or vehicles that do not have provision for a roof.

but i do believe you are correct NAAF, i have never really read that ADR with that way of thinking, always just interprited as warm air is the way to get rid of condensation... suppose it comes down to who the tester is.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
although it goes against physics i find cold air from the ac (in victoria atleast) removes fog much quicker than using the heater... theory is you need warm air to evaporate the moisture but i never find this to work effectively

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The A/C works as a dehumidifier, whether the temperature of the air is warm or cold doesn't matter. Having the A/C on will get rid of the "fog" much quicker.