Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

C4 Corvette Brakes VS GTS Brakes

gibbonsVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
Has anyone had any experience fitting corvette c4 brakes on vs commodores. The c4 calliper i am referring to is a pbr twin piston with a finned aluminium housing and looks very similar to the VS GTS. I haven't been able to find any part numbers to confirm it is the same calliper, but a search of a few different brake websites show it accepts the same pads as the VS GTS calliper and also has a 28mm rotor. The c4 however takes a 330mm rotor compared to 328mm for the GTS.

If possible I would like to fit the c4 calliper with the GTS rotors on my VS. I realise these brakes aren’t as good as the modern twin pistons available, but I would prefer to have original looking brakes.

* Does anyone know if the c4 calliper is compatible with GTS rotors?
* Are the twin piston callipers fitted as standard equipment on some of the higher level hsv v8s from vn – vs interchangeable?

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
i had the c4 style calipers on my vn, there are 3 types of the c4 caliper, the jl9 suited to a 12" rotor, a j55 suited to a 13" rotor and a gs that suited a 13" rotor but was a more smooth caliper and had corvette embossed in it. hsv used the j55 caliper, i dont know if hsv used the same (pretty sure they were)slide mount as the corvette but the hsv s had a left hand slide on the right and a right hand slide on the left, and they had a extension bracket as well, possably the same slides were used as the hsv calipers are front mounted and the corvette is rear mounted. hsv first used these calipers on the sv5000, and then on the vn group a, also on the gts-r and was a premium option on iirc vr vs as a second option to the harrop calipers. the 2mm difference doesnt make a difference when its on the car.
personaly imo the c4 caliper is a lot better than the vt type caliper, also recomend if your car doesnt have a 1" master cylinder put one on with the c4 calipers or it will be a waist of time.
you can also buy these calipers of pbr as a sports upgrade, they come front and rear, also with a bigger caliper and a ventilated rear rotor for the rear but not sure if they have a kit for the solid rear axel yet.

gibbonsVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
thanks for the valuable info Glenn l. I had been looking at the j55 callipers for the upgrade, did you use the corvette mounts.

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
im pretty sure they were corvette mounts, but you will need an adaptor mount to fit them to the commodore.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
i had the c4 style calipers on my vn, there are 3 types of the c4 caliper, the jl9 suited to a 12" rotor, a j55 suited to a 13" rotor and a gs that suited a 13" rotor but was a more smooth caliper and had corvette embossed in it. hsv used the j55 caliper, i dont know if hsv used the same (pretty sure they were)slide mount as the corvette but the hsv s had a left hand slide on the right and a right hand slide on the left, and they had a extension bracket as well, possably the same slides were used as the hsv calipers are front mounted and the corvette is rear mounted. hsv first used these calipers on the sv5000, and then on the vn group a, also on the gts-r and was a premium option on iirc vr vs as a second option to the harrop calipers. the 2mm difference doesnt make a difference when its on the car.
personaly imo the c4 caliper is a lot better than the vt type caliper, also recomend if your car doesnt have a 1" master cylinder put one on with the c4 calipers or it will be a waist of time.
you can also buy these calipers of pbr as a sports upgrade, they come front and rear, also with a bigger caliper and a ventilated rear rotor for the rear but not sure if they have a kit for the solid rear axel yet.

I did the same thing but used the gs style calipers which worked great. They were a ton cheaper than buying local too :dance:. I can't remember if the J55 style were different in price or not.

Reaper

gibbonsVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
Where do you think the best place to track down an adapter would be?

I agree Reaper, they are a fair bit cheaper than buying locally and the gs calipers look great.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
No idea - I got them from a busted up Clubby 5000i that I wrecked (one of the calipers had a broken mounting bracket). I'd just laser cut some more if I ever did it again. If there is enough demand I could organize some more but they would have no engineers etc.

Reaper

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
Where do you think the best place to track down an adapter would be?

I agree Reaper, they are a fair bit cheaper than buying locally and the gs calipers look great.

i would try holden or pbr as pbr would have made them.

UNLEASHED

Choose your weapon...
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE2 CALAISV/ VXSS/VP SENATOR #021, K4 GSXR600
THREAD DIG LOL...I wish they made the adaptor.. I can find them ANYWHERE

Last edited:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6