Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cabin Fuel Smell

NIVSSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
I own a 2005 vz ss, recently noticed a strong fuel smell coming from cabin while driving with windows down. Smell only gets stronger under hard accel /brake and cornering. Smell lasts until tank is about 30 % full, then its gone. Once the tank is filled up again the smell is back until it drops to 1/3 again. Check under car, engine bay can't find where the smell is from.

Anyone had similar problems or knows what it could be?

Thanks

DeathVZaudiO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Exec Sedan
Yeah man there was a recall that gets done at the dealerships, my mums vz had to get something done to the fuel lines to solve the problem. It was under warranty i have no idea what really happened, she is car illeterate but it is a definate recalled problem. This is all i know about it sorry i have no more info.

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
check your fuel cap too...some of the boys on here fixed the problem by replacing the fuel cap because it wasnt sealing properly or something...when you do it up do a full rotation of clicks and see if that solves the problem.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
As Said check the Fuel Cap, The Old Mans VY SS had this problem, would not seal properly, quite common apparently.

NIVSSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Thanks for the info everyone, will change over fuel cap and see if there's any difference. Otherwise i'll need to get those fuel lines checked. more money out of pocket, damn!

bazza13

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss 5.0
Had the same trouble, tightened fuel cap more than I had been doing ( about three rotations now),fixed,hope it's that simple for you

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
Yep. Tighten the fuel cap until you here the clicks and then holding outside diameter of the cap just turn it a bit tighter. Didn't even bother replacing my cap. Problem solved.

Sebastien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 3.8
I have noticed the same thing as of yesterday. If i jump in my car before ive even started it i can just smell fuel... Though if i pull the windows down it goes away.

Ill try checking my fuel cap this arvo

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
The problems with the fuel filler cap and tank (VZ)

Hope this is in the Cabin Fuel Smell thread.
I had the petrol smell usually after I filled the tank. Nearly sufficated on a trip so took it to the dealer who gave me a new cap, said 2 clicks were sufficient. It lasted with no smell for about 4 tankfulls then started again. In frustration stretched the cap tightening to go to 4 clicks still did not fix it. The problem was that the neck of the tank was distorted and another new cap would not seal it properly when it was filled. Was using e10 for most tank fills.
Dealer replaced the tank and cap. Good for about 4 months, then the fuel smell again.
Dealer replaced the tank cap in the last months of warranty as it was starting to pop the cap again. Reviewed my fuel log and felt that the e10 may have had a higher static gas pressure in the tank when full, and this popped the cap.
Have now swung back to unleaded and no more cap popping problems.
So e10 I see as the cuplrit. The RACQ said recently that the jury was out on the long term damage e10 can do to the seals and rubber stuff in the fuel system. Maybe the materials in the cap and the tank are not 101% ethanol compatible in the long term.
Cheers