Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cable Clutch Or Hydraulic Best?

V

VPCOMRACER

I am currently in the throes of doing up my VP BT1, which I plan to use as a Street / Race Car (weekend racing on Hill climbs & Circuit)

The Car currently has a turbo 700 automatic, which I will be removing & replacing with a Top Loader Gearbox.

As I have only played with Torana V8's in the past, I'm not up with the Commodores good & or bad points.

What I need to know is, do I opt for a cable set up with heavy duty clutch, or is it better to go Hydraulic?

I've been told that the Cable set up these days is a lot stronger than cable set ups from the past.(is this true & do you need muscles in your #@## to use the clutch?)

If anyone has done the conversion in the past, I'd love to hear from them, as I will be starting to do the changeover within 4 weeks from now.

Vaughn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubsport / V8 M5
for starters , why a top loader that would be very expenisive and pointless as they are pretty **** wen there is alot of other better options out there t5 5speed or a tremec t-56 six speed a cable setup will be perfectly fine just get a good clutch and is it a v6 or v8?

V

VPCOMRACER

Vaughn,

Thanks for your reply.

The Car is a BT1 ex police pursuit car 5.0Litre V8 with turbo 700 automatic.

I have an XA Top Loader lined up at present, which was rebuilt & never used 2 years ago for $500, but the downside is the fact that there will be extra costs incrued for cross menber - bell housing - etc etc, which I estimate will cost approx $2500 in total.

I plan on working the motor to 215 - 220kw, as I have read that the standard injection manifold is only good for these figures.

What sort of price would the other gearboxes that you have mentioned go for & will they be an easier swap?

Will the T5 gearbox handle the extra grunt for Circuit Racing?

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
VPCOMRACER said:
Vaughn,

Thanks for your reply.

I have an XA Top Loader lined up at present, which was rebuilt & never used 2 years ago for $500, but the downside is the fact that there will be extra costs incrued for cross menber - bell housing - etc etc, which I estimate will cost approx $2500 in total.

I plan on working the motor to 215 - 220kw, as I have read that the standard injection manifold is only good for these figures.

What sort of price would the other gearboxes that you have mentioned go for & will they be an easier swap?

T5's aren't exactly weak, but the top loader is definitely stronger, from memory the T5 was based on the old borg warner single rail which was most definitely not as strong as a top loader. The V8 T5 is also pretty hard to get hold of at a decent price. If you're gonna be racing it, you won't need the overdriven 5th gear anyway yeah? Which is pretty much the only real advantage of the 5 speed.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
VPCOMRACER said:
Vaughn,

Thanks for your reply.

220kw....a T700 will handle this easily....In fact with a shift kit, they can handle 300rwkw quite easily...

Vaughn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubsport / V8 M5
he wants to do circuit racing so an auto is pointless and a t700 standard with a shift kit that can handle 300rwkw easily, i dont think so, how does a shift kit make an auto stronger? and yes it would handle the power but for not very long at all, well with costs any way really u r looking at bout $2500 or more especcially if u go with a six speed they are very expensive but there are some for sale on various forums out of a vr or vs gts will be the easiest but a t5 can handle that power alright it all depends on how u drive, as with everything

MBS206

Reaction score
My T5 conversion just cost me $1400 (Tad under *including clutch/maching flywheel etc*), I'm running a heavy duty clutch with a cable setup.
I plan on circuit work for mine also, and it should hold up.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
step into the new era and get a hydraulic clutch setup. no squeaks, no broken cables, no extra pedal effort. nice.

Daza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Nothing beats a good linkage clutch set up. The only problem they have is they will need periodic adjustment. This is not all bad though as it will give you a good indicator of the wear of your clutch.
Hydraulic is easy though especially if you cant get the angles and mount points you need, get a good steel slave cylinder as this is always the weak point of a hydraulic setup. No cables to wear and if the pedal is to heavy a smaller master cylinder is allways an option. The side loads flare alloy cylinders making them leak and potentially sticky.
I did a similar match up and used a Toyota Dyna slave cylinder from memory, It worked quite well until I did a slave hose. I spat the chewy after that incident and fitted up linkages (May not be an option in a commodore though). Good choice with the top loader they take some serious punishment before giving up.
:driving: :driving:
Cheers
Daza