Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CAI Restriction?

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
I think the CAI on my car, might be restricting the airflow into the engine, after the bottom end rebuild on the W/E, i took it for a drive, with the CAI still off, and i noticed the exhaust note sounded good, thinking it was just the motor being healthy now, i hooked everything back up, and it had it old crappy almost 6 cyl note back to it, so i unhooked the CAI again thismorning, and without it it sounds heaps better, a lot deeper and throatier, has anyone else noticed this with the factory cold air intakes??

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
you need a heatgun. heat up the front inch or so of the cai, and widen it. mines about 2cm wide now, much more difference

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The larger the intake size, the louder it is. It won't be restricting it, just quieter because you are lengthening the intake pipe.

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
It sucks, id rather have hot air and a note to it, than cold air and a crap exh note, i had even taken it to a zorst shop and had the muffler changed thinking that was it, cos everyone who has ever been in it, or heard it, wouldnt believe it had a 2 1/2" on it, even the zorst shop didnt believe me till he looked for himself lol, so atm it has the otr on it, but the intermediate pipe isnt there, so when im driveing, it will be blowin cold air past the intake of the airbox, i just dont have cold at idle, so i might just leave it i think, or think about a ss inductions unit

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
Or a hole straight through the bottom of the air box and through the top of the inner guard. use the bit that connects the intake pipe from a v6 to the lid of the air box to sit under neath that and press up against the inner guard opening, with a bit of mesh (i used fly screen) to stop loose stuff getting into to the air box.

in this position above the washer bottle it would be hard to get water into it at all. by the the time water could get suck into there it would be half way up the bonnet, it can't get sprayed of the tire, and you still have the factory cai in place.

is this legal? when i rang and asked my engineer he said know problems and that i didn't need it certified. But i'ld check this out for your self.

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
i was thinking about doing that, only with a bit of pipe, and lik it up to either one of the openings in the front bar, or to just behind it in the corner, but i would like the ram air effect, but yeah, i would just have to find out about the engineering regs if any regarding it, but then again, just look at turbos with intercooler pipes running through there.

VZHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
z
i personaly find the ss inductions a better unit than the hsv cai
as i tried it for my self from my mates vs clubby..
the induction noise is much louder to and exhaust note sounds nice :thumbsup: