Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cairns and surrounding area's

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
The cynic in me is thinking that Bligh reckons this was a godsend for her political future.

Lets just hope the public don't forget how incompetent this government actually is.

Oh yeah, shes licking her lips. The flood was pretty good for her. This was a miracle. No loss of life from this, she comes out smelling like a bunch of roses.

M

mwb235

Before the VIC election, I recall the political experts saying out of the three upcoming state elections, VIC Labor was unlikely to lose, but both NSW and QLD Labor would lose.

The VIC Labor govt was booted out. So if VIC was a considered a "safer" labor state compared to NSW and QLD, logic has it they too will fall. Everyone knows NSW is a no-brainer - Keneally's govt is gone. But after the floods and cyclone, what does that mean for the QLD govt?

I know little about the QLD state political issues other than what I've read in the press. Do you QLD people think Bligh's govt will still be beaten, or is she now considered a "hero" and politically safe? It'll be interesting to see what effect all this has on her chances of re-election.

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Bligh's primary support was in the low 20's before the floods. She was heading for a wipeout (our election is still a couple of years away).

There were a lot of issues that got the public's back up - wasting the money from the mining boom, trying to privatise everything in sight, permitting substantial increases in utilities costs, sharp public transport price increases, dropping the fuel subsidy after assuring the public (a few days before the election) it will stay, payroll debacle.

Thats only what I can think off the top of my head.

Probably just another symptom of a long term government - I moved here in 2007 from NSW, and I thought that Beattie ran the place ok in his earlier years. He probably saw what a trainwreck it was becoming and bailed to the states, leaving Bligh in charge.

If they loose, it will be because of a protest vote. The opposition doesn't make themselves heard at all, same as in NSW I suspect.

ryno_vrx

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV enhanced Berlina
i figure this i probably not the best place to ask but i'm up in cairns for a few nights whats there to do in this town?