Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calais = old mans car...????

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Yeah but your Berlina went more upmarket since mine:cry:.

And I cheated. Spent a bomb making it look like a Calais anyway. Should have bought a Calais in the first place. Would have been cheaper and still had more gear than mine.

Ah well, live and learn.

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Most definitely not!! a sigma with venetians and a sun visor is an old mans car.

vyseriesII

The Blessed Hellride
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VyS S2 Blown
I myself tend to think of a calais as a an older person type car. While there nice, there not sporty which in my opinion looks better and tends to attract a younger buyer. I guess that a lot more older people drive them too cause there a fair bit dearer when buying new. But if i was going to buy some new top of the range holden, id buy a GTS over a Grange, or SS over Calais, Sporty over the politition look. The politition look just isnt good.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
Rather have a old mans Calais than a chicks/hair dressers Mazda 3.

haha my gf is a hair dresser, and she has an 06 mazda 3, mind you its reasonably quick on its toes, i still prefer my ute though haha

vyseriesII

The Blessed Hellride
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VyS S2 Blown
I bought my first car last year when I was 17... It's a 93 Calais :)
Cheap as chips, not a lot of running costs.. Added luxury's. Its a simple decision if you ask me.

Well i guess i should add i wasn't talking about the 17 yr old buying a second hand car nealy 15yrs or more old. Anyone can afford that. Still have the problem of the car looking old fartish IMO. But i guess it comes down to personal preference. And the added "luxury" items are a bit of a wank and usually just more **** to go wrong. And luxury in a car that old would most likely be standard in a car today anyway. I reckon some people buy them so they can say they have a calais cause once apon a time the car was/is worth more than a standard commo like most drive so they must feel prouder lol

Last edited:

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
The added 'luxuries' of a Calais werent actually an awful lot in 93. What they did include was cruise control, climate control, and power windows. Those things I dont even consider luxuries any more. Couldnt live without them :) Certainly not a wank, and as you've said they are standard on cheaper cars now like my 011 Kia... even my 05 Kia has cruise and power windows.

Obviously a few other things were available too like leather seats ( which I would delete from the options list if buying new, horrible things ) and various stuff like faux wood etc, which although sometimes nice, I could live without.

An older Calais (or Berlina, or Statesman) is an excellent starting point for a young fella. As an old man, I wouldnt buy one new, there are so many much better options available. A young guy who could afford a new Calais might buy one. To me, that means a Calais is a young mans car these days, not an old mans. An old man is more likely to go Euro or maybe a Stato..

My Berlina project is to satisfy my inner child...

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
And I cheated. Spent a bomb making it look like a Calais anyway. Should have bought a Calais in the first place. Would have been cheaper and still had more gear than mine.

Ah well, live and learn.
Thought it had some of that VYII Calais look about it :D.

No harm in playing around its all good clean fun :).