Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calais Subs

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
Does anyone know how the 8" subs in a VX calais are fitted. Do they sit directly on the parcel shelf or do they have a spacer of some sort?

muvro

TUFF 6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1 L67 A4
They have a plastic spacer that sits under them.

Steven M

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX BERLINA S2 V6
Why do you ask, because if you are thinking of getting some I wouldn't bother, I disconnected mine and got to 12's in the boot.

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
Steven M said:
Why do you ask, because if you are thinking of getting some I wouldn't bother, I disconnected mine and got to 12's in the boot.
Yeah I was thinking of getting some. Not the standard calais subs but something decent in an 8".
I planned to fit one 10" or 12"sub in the boot later on and keep the 2 8" subs in the parcel shelf for a bit of extra kick. I won't be able to claim enough boot space to fit two 10" or 12" subs.
Would this be alright if I brought a couple of decent 8" subs?

bruzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman 5.7
Steven M said:

just a quick question you said you disconnected you 8's and put 2 12's in the boot, did you run them off the stock eurovox amp, or did you change the amp? and if you did change the amp do you have wire colour codes for me??
cheers paul

muvro

TUFF 6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1 L67 A4
TigerVX said:
Yeah I was thinking of getting some. Not the standard calais subs but something decent in an 8".
I planned to fit one 10" or 12"sub in the boot later on and keep the 2 8" subs in the parcel shelf for a bit of extra kick. I won't be able to claim enough boot space to fit two 10" or 12" subs.
Would this be alright if I brought a couple of decent 8" subs?

Just make sure you get free air subs. Otherwise if you get subs designed for an enclosure you will get very poor powre handling and bad responce from them. Best just to buy a good quality 10 or 12 in a purpose built box run off a dedicated amp (which you would defiantely need to run proper 8" subs). This will give much better bass and possibly not as expensive.

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
Would a 10" or 12" sub sound better on it's own or with the two 8" subs.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Yeh the stock 8s can't handle low frequencies too well.

Two 8s would suit some music style better than a 10 or a 12.

do you want loud bass with low frequency response, or do you want more refined bass with less low frequency response.
The standard ones in Vy calais are pretty unimpressive from a stereo nuts point of view :)

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
I mostly listen to heavy rock. I'm not a fan of big bass dance type songs but want a bit of kick in my music.
Would I be better with one 10" or 12" sub and put some 6.5" speakers in the parcel shelf?

Steven M

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX BERLINA S2 V6
I am running 2 12" rockford fosgate subs in an enclosure off a kenwood amp which is off a panasonic head unit. If you do decide to run parcel shelf speakers you will most likely need to run new wiring because I tried that with the stock wiring for the stock subs and all i could get was low frequency bass out of 2 6" speakers.