Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calais V suspension question

Solo flyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Hi all.
I just bought the missus a oct 2007 Calais V and was expecting it to have the fe 1.5 or 2 suspension but didnt notice until later that the compliance plates say STD. Was this an option at the time and what setup would you guys suggest seeing that its about time to replace anyway.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I'm running pedders sports ryder and loving it.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Depends how you plan to use it. If its just the Mrs daily and she doesnt push it much you could leave the standard springs in there and just replace the shocks with a decent gas set. That is the cheapest way to improve it. Thats what ive done and thrown in a set of poly strut tops. Next step would be to get a set of fe1.5 or fe2 springs and do the shocks as well, or go all the way with aftermarket gear.
If i have my struts out again id put some stiffer springs in there and think about sway bars too because the bodyroll shits me.
Also put some decent brake pads in it to keep her safe :)

cruelass

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
I have just installed a set of KYB shocks and H&R springs on my 07 SS. Stoked with the ride and handling as well as a slightly lowered stance. I can highly recommend them as an alternative to monroe/kings. One thing to remember that I hadnt seen mentioned is that the indicator on the top of the spring plate under the strut mount bushing must point towards the engine bay basically inline with where the sway bar link attaches to the strut. I didnt do this and had to take them out and fix it as it had a clunk when you would go over a harsh bump. Felt like the springs where bottoming out.

VTSS304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Manual
The Calais V V8 should have FE2 the same system as the SS, the V6 will be standard.

AD07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS V 6.0
The Calais V V8 should have FE2 the same system as the SS, the V6 will be standard.

Not necessarily. The earlier ones had FE2 and the later ones had FE1.5.
This is because the FE2 was considered too stiff for a luxury model.

Solo flyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Awesome thanks for the advice. Im thinking of upgrading it to the FE2 lvl as I love the ride on my SV6 and dont find it too hard. Just getting prices on parts now. Thxngreen and Crue I will definitely look into the KYB and H&R setup, good pads will go in at the same time. Probably the safest bet seeing as the minister for war and finances is partial to putting the boot in when she thinks im not looking :beer chug:

cruelass

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
Awesome thanks for the advice. Im thinking of upgrading it to the FE2 lvl as I love the ride on my SV6 and dont find it too hard. Just getting prices on parts now. Thxngreen and Crue I will definitely look into the KYB and H&R setup, good pads will go in at the same time. Probably the safest bet seeing as the minister for war and finances is partial to putting the boot in when she thinks im not looking :beer chug:

I can say the ride is firm but not harsh at all , ride is like a new car and less likely to hang the arse out when you hit it out of a corner, hangs on really well now. The price I payed was:
struts and shocks = $450
springs = $320
strut mount bushes and bearings = $89 (can be found cheaper).
I put some stock pads in from holmart $39.
So the prices were not really that expensive.

timandhayley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Astra RS-V Hatch
October 2007 build is a VE MY08.5, which got the rear lip spoiler and lost the suede trimmed door pockets in exchange for plastic trim. This car will have FE1.5 suspension fitted, which was a running change first made in the MY08.5 updates (prior vehicles were FE2).