Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

caliper bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
Hi all,

I'm in the process of refurbishing a set of SS calipers to put on my exec. My Haines manual states that the caliper bolts on the car are "self locking" and designed to be used only once and when removed they must be replaced.

Does anyone know the reason for this? Are replacements freely available or do they need to be sourced from Holden?

Normally, I wouldn't have even thought about replacing bolts.

Thanks!!

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
reason they're single use? I'd say just to cover their bums regarding backyard mechanics using dodgy parts. after all, brakes are IMO the most important safety feature of ANY car. finding replacements should be simple, just take an old bolt to a bolt shop and get one same thread. holden should keep some in stock too. might be more expensive, but certainly easier

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I always re-use the bolts, just put some loctite or similar on the thread.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
It is a stretching bolt. These are to be used once because once they are tensioned and then that tension is released their structure is changed. These are brakes fellas! These 2 bolts are soley responsible for holding the caliper to the hub ffs. Use loctite?

They will set you back about $4each from Holden and come with the loctite applied. They are a readily available item.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It is a stretching bolt. These are to be used once because once they are tensioned and then that tension is released their structure is changed. These are brakes fellas! These 2 bolts are soley responsible for holding the caliper to the hub ffs. Use loctite?

They will set you back about $4each from Holden and come with the loctite applied. They are a readily available item.

I've been doing it this way since before replacing the bolts was heard of, about 35 years and not once has there even been a hint of a problem. It has nothing to do with the cost of the bolts.

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
cheers for the info. I'll replace them as this will be the first time I've had the calipers off. Oddly enough though, I had the front rotors changed about 2 years ago at a brake place in the ACT and they didn't put new bolts on.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
The way I look at it is.....you r saving at least $200 by DIY so another $16 for 4 new caliper bolts is justified.

Workshops are big on reusing bolts where they can but a stretching bolt only really stretches once :yeah: The next time it stretches is called breaking :w00t:

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
So the same could be said for wheel studs and wheel nuts....... how many people replace them everytime..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think not as said above i have been using the same bolts on brakes for the last 12 yrs working on cars and never a problem......

Its all talk and bs

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
So the same could be said for wheel studs and wheel nuts....... how many people replace them everytime..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think not as said above i have been using the same bolts on brakes for the last 12 yrs working on cars and never a problem......

Its all talk and bs

Especially your post :p

kingwalker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
ive always reused the bolts in thirthy years off playing with cars and bikes not a problem, as long as you torque them up.:dance:but one thing i do is put new head bolts in every head i do

Status
Not open for further replies.