Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calling auto trans gurus! Vibration in low speed 'lock up'

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Gday guys

this problem seems to haunt me with every car I buy. V6.
whenever they go into 'lock up' at 70-80kmph , there is a droning and vibration where they feel as though they are really labouring until the speed gets higher ie 90kms

the really poor ones ive had hit lock up at 70kmph. I have one atm that gets to 80 and locks up and then it feels really doughy until 90 or so.

bloke I spoke to today said its the lock up clutch in convertor. I later found out he's hooked on meth so not sure if it's a solid lead lols

thanks guys

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
As Above ^^^^
I was going to say the same thing,

As Auto's get forgotten about all the time.

They are very easy to service yourself.

PS: Meth and Advice dont mix to well !

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Gday guys

this problem seems to haunt me with every car I buy. V6.
whenever they go into 'lock up' at 70-80kmph , there is a droning and vibration where they feel as though they are really labouring until the speed gets higher ie 90kms

the really poor ones ive had hit lock up at 70kmph. I have one atm that gets to 80 and locks up and then it feels really doughy until 90 or so.

bloke I spoke to today said its the lock up clutch in convertor. I later found out he's hooked on meth so not sure if it's a solid lead lols

thanks guys
Eventually the clutch wears out on the torque converter and then it starts slipping and swarfing metal shards into the transmission fluid. I’m pretty sure that’s what killed my old SV6 as there was plenty of metal in the oil when I dropped the pan.

If I had known what was happening at the time and changed out the torque converter it’s possible that I might have got more miles out of it as the transmission itself was running fine, until it wasn’t. It’s perceived like a light shudder or misfire when going up a slight slope at the TC lockup speed (70kph for the VE).

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Depending on the type of transmission the TCC solenoid valve wears out because it's pulse width operated to give a smooth seemless engagement which let's the valve leak and allows the TCC to slip.

On the 4l60e I tune it out or make the lockup very aggressive and this helps prolong the life of the TCC. Feels like you engage another gear when it's applied.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Depending on the type of transmission the TCC solenoid valve wears out because it's pulse width operated to give a smooth seemless engagement which let's the valve leak and allows the TCC to slip.

On the 4l60e I tune it out or make the lockup very aggressive and this helps prolong the life of the TCC. Feels like you engage another gear when it's applied.
thanks for the reply. yeah ive heard of it being tuned out. does this require the Kalmaker angle or ? its a 99 VS ute.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
As Above ^^^^
I was going to say the same thing,

As Auto's get forgotten about all the time.

They are very easy to service yourself.

PS: Meth and Advice dont mix to well !
I've tried a service at least 6 times on past vehicles with same issue and it never improves mate

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Eventually the clutch wears out on the torque converter and then it starts slipping and swarfing metal shards into the transmission fluid. I’m pretty sure that’s what killed my old SV6 as there was plenty of metal in the oil when I dropped the pan.

If I had known what was happening at the time and changed out the torque converter it’s possible that I might have got more miles out of it as the transmission itself was running fine, until it wasn’t. It’s perceived like a light shudder or misfire when going up a slight slope at the TC lockup speed (70kph for the VE).
i not long ago bought a ute from a deceased estate. a mechanic (deceased) owned it for many years. without doubt it had the filthiest trans pan i've ever seen and a full set of cut springs to match!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
thanks for the reply. yeah ive heard of it being tuned out. does this require the Kalmaker angle or ? its a 99 VS ute.

Someone who does memcal tunes should be able to do it, you just increase the %age of the PWM for the converter lockup tables.

IIRC from factory the PWM starts at about 20% which lets the converter slip into lockup without the vehicle occupants feeling it. I up those to about 80%.

There is an alternate option where you fit a small clip to the valve on the valve body in the transmission and this just locks out the PWM solenoid so when it applies it gets the full 100% like they did with the early 4l60e's (think back to early VR models).

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Someone who does memcal tunes should be able to do it, you just increase the %age of the PWM for the converter lockup tables.

IIRC from factory the PWM starts at about 20% which lets the converter slip into lockup without the vehicle occupants feeling it. I up those to about 80%.

There is an alternate option where you fit a small clip to the valve on the valve body in the transmission and this just locks out the PWM solenoid so when it applies it gets the full 100% like they did with the early 4l60e's (think back to early VR models).
found a bloke but its a $500 exercise! somthing about buying software rights ?? anyways, the car is worth 6k so 10% of its value won't be recovered in a gearbox tune. Purchaser will just need to live with all 24 years worth of wear n tear :) thanks for the knowledge dude