Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calling computer people

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
I tried to right click the drive in My computer.. My whole computer froze up.. Nothing worked..

I physically reset it and it wouldn't start.. I did it again, this time it wouldn't even start in Safe mode..

So I just pulled out the HD completely and reset it.. Perfect start..

This is screwed up..

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Yeah your mums puter has been hit by a virus I bet...

A computer can only have one hard drive partition marked active... this is where the MBR tells the computer where to load the operating system from.

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Windows has that remote help thing. Maybe you should give that a go. probably easier than trying to do it via the forum

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
I think this is beyond me.. Might just write the data off...

Thanks heaps to all the people that have helped out.. It's much appreciated..

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
is "lost & found" still free? hhmm might need to google it... I havent used it in years... used to be a good proggy...

D.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
What the hell, Sixshooter?! It's NOT a virus. Windows XP/2k/2k Server will do odd things if they detect a second hard drive which has been set as the system partition in a different computer. I recently had to rebuild a 2k server machine at work for this very reason - we tried to recovered information from the old hard drive (which died - it was a Maxtor, surprise surprise!) and Windows had its boot/system partition settings screwed around, broke windows, had to rebuild it yet again.

You say it's a Maxtor drive? There's your problem right there. Maxtor hard drives are RUBBISH. The drive is probably dead. There are companies which will attempt to recover data from dead hard drives but you're looking at about $350 per attempt and there is no guarantee that anything can be recovered.

That's your only hope. I hope you've been making backups.

When you replace the drive, get a Seagate drive. They are the best hard drive manufacturers in the world, you can't go past them.

By the way, for a little bit of history, does anyone remember Quantum? They used to make a drive called the Quantum Fireball, which had a reputation of melting one particular chip on the logic board :D. They could be fixed by finding a replacement logic board, but replacements were hard to find since they all had melted chips ;). Maxtor bought Quantum. See where this is headed? Heh heh heh...

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
DavidPartay said:
Windows XP/2k/2k Server will do odd things
Meh. Real men run Slackware Linux.
DavidPartay said:
By the way, for a little bit of history, does anyone remember Quantum? They used to make a drive called the Quantum Fireball, which had a reputation of melting one particular chip on the logic board
Really? I had two of these drives in my PC for more than 5 years. Neither of them had this fault you describe, and both were still working perfectly when removed. I only removed them to upgrade to larger capacity drives.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
lol I fried my quantum.... MY FAULT! & It was replaced under warrenty.... hhmm always wonder why that was... lol

As for seagate UGH! gee how many seagates have I seen faulty... Damn Ive lost count!! I guess each to their own.... I still have a maxtor & its still going strong... Was in some old machine I dont even have anymore.. but hey the HDD is still kickin along.... My pref goes to WD I guess Im just comfy using them still.... never had any serious problems.....

D.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
DavidPartay said:
What the hell, Sixshooter?! It's NOT a virus. Windows XP/2k/2k Server will do odd things if they detect a second hard drive which has been set as the system partition in a different computer. I recently had to rebuild a 2k server machine at work for this very reason - we tried to recovered information from the old hard drive (which died - it was a Maxtor, surprise surprise!) and Windows had its boot/system partition settings screwed around, broke windows, had to rebuild it yet again.

You say it's a Maxtor drive? There's your problem right there. Maxtor hard drives are RUBBISH. The drive is probably dead. There are companies which will attempt to recover data from dead hard drives but you're looking at about $350 per attempt and there is no guarantee that anything can be recovered.

That's your only hope. I hope you've been making backups.

When you replace the drive, get a Seagate drive. They are the best hard drive manufacturers in the world, you can't go past them.

By the way, for a little bit of history, does anyone remember Quantum? They used to make a drive called the Quantum Fireball, which had a reputation of melting one particular chip on the logic board . They could be fixed by finding a replacement logic board, but replacements were hard to find since they all had melted chips . Maxtor bought Quantum. See where this is headed? Heh heh heh...

Yeah sorry for the confusion I was refering to the initial problem in the mum machine boot failure...I was thinking boot sector corrupted and cant find the required files to start loading the O/S ?

HDD's have been successfully revitalised long enough to shift the data off them onto a good drive by putting the HDD in an air tight bag in the freezer for a few hours and then plugging it back in... or gently table slapping the drive on its sides to free a stuck head. ( but do so at you own risk I accept no warranty claims on my advise...however dead drives have been known to respond to those 2 methods)

Shounak said:
My mum's computer just melted down.. It won't read any of the USB devices and I'm getting the "Start Windows with Last good configuration or Safe Mode" business..
^^^^^
That tells me the drive isn't dead...its reading the drive to be able to load a diagnostics to say the drive is corrupt...please think before you respond !!!!