Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam for V6

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
google it and do it in australia searches only or cant u get there the addy is Google
yeah he's got a point, on face value it's a pretty school-kid sort of question. HOWEVER i'd suggest that for low down torque/power, you won't want to go too far off standard. maybe a wade 992a or similar would do the trick, but if you're worried about power down low you'll shave the heads a tad while you're at it.

Price, you can get away with less than a grand if you fit it yourself and use a foam tune. Probably the best suited off the shelf cam for a stock 3800, or so i'm led to believe

Sam

edit: thought i was talking about a buick. my bad.. shouldn't be TOO far off for ecotec though

WarShrike

Reaction score
Website
www.fquick.com
Members Ride
2000 Pontiac Firebird V6
There's a guy here in the states running 12.3's on a custom cam, but it is VERY agressive. It went 120 passes and busted off one of the stock valves, instant disappearing piston! His installed seat pressure on the valve spring is really high, so that's what caused the failure.

He's in a stock modified class for drag racing, pretty agressive lobes and low lift and durations because of the class rules.

What I'm getting at is sometimes an off the shelf cam is okay, but you can probably have a cam set to match your desired output if you go with somebody that knows these cars inside and out. Figure out your goals and keep on it!

Good luck :)

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
they do cams for torque good for towing and low rpm work no fun if you want to rev it out every now and then

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
i liked it as soon as i saw it LOL had to have it :D i think he is no longer either

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Haha, I didn't mean it to be such a school boy question, though I'm sick of hearing biased information or opinions about Cam's...so I wanted to get some better info. haha I was in a bit of a rush when writing the post anyway so...

WarShrike

Reaction score
Website
www.fquick.com
Members Ride
2000 Pontiac Firebird V6
I'd say contact a shop and have a custom grind with a good lobe design developed for your intended build or desired outcome. You might pay a little more for a custom grind with some shops, but it can be worth it in the end.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
I'm thinking about getting a Cam for my V6, looking for low down torque/power. Any suggestions? Any prices? Anywhere to start looking?

Sorry back on the original post, it just hit me overnight how silly this is. You're about to pay $500+ on a custom grind camshaft, to try to do exactly what the factory were trying to do??? I was laughing with Jason about this last night, if you want a cam to drive around and work well at low rpm and just do the things that a car is meant to do, you will never beat the standard Holden camshaft. Don't waste your money on a cam for this purpose, I'd say a L67 conversion would be the easiest thing for you if you want more low end kick in the pants.

Sam