Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cam for VS

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
i would still go the cam with a lil port polish job, should be able to get a tune in there for 1500.

yep thats probably wat im gonna do stage 3 crow hopefully. mechanic said should get the cam and valve springs fitted for about a grand so looking like the cheaper option

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
see its not always the cheaper option, if it means saving for another month or 3 :p so you can get some porting done on ur heads, u'll save on a ****load of labour, doin it all at the same time. im currently saving for a cam, and a kalmaker ecu n dyno tune. i have almost enough, but am goin to continue to save so i can port n shave the heads, better air flow, up compression a lil more, n i'll be seeing more benefit out of the cam.

i know, once bitten by the mod bug, the hardest part is waiting.. u'll save in the long run and be happier u waited

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
see its not always the cheaper option, if it means saving for another month or 3 :p so you can get some porting done on ur heads, u'll save on a ****load of labour, doin it all at the same time. im currently saving for a cam, and a kalmaker ecu n dyno tune. i have almost enough, but am goin to continue to save so i can port n shave the heads, better air flow, up compression a lil more, n i'll be seeing more benefit out of the cam.

i know, once bitten by the mod bug, the hardest part is waiting.. u'll save in the long run and be happier u waited

yeh thought about that too but my mechanic said probably wont need to do the heads with the cam im doing as its supposed to run on a lower compression ration as its ment to be run with the supercharged engines. may get them done as my next mod though if its not up to scratch.

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
so guys ive decieded on gettin a stage three crow cam with new valve springs and lifts. also at the same time am gettin my heads recoded with a port and polish job. should get the car back monday hopefully. its costing me a bit more then i wanted but im hoping its worth it. anyone know wat sort of gains ill be looking at gettin? also have cai, exhust and extractors

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
so guys ive decieded on gettin a stage three crow cam with new valve springs and lifts. also at the same time am gettin my heads recoded with a port and polish job. should get the car back monday hopefully. its costing me a bit more then i wanted but im hoping its worth it. anyone know wat sort of gains ill be looking at gettin? also have cai, exhust and extractors

and a tune?? what about that?
to be quite honest you'll probably find it'll be sluggish untill you get more into the cam's powerband of torque (which will have raised now, compared to stock) so you'd probably feel all the improvements over 3000rpm.
if your after some sort of rwkw or rwhp figure its really pure guess work man, "most" ecotecs see around 130rwkw with the sort of work your getting done...but having said that im not too sure just how big a stage 3 crow cam is..

edit: just a mention...if you do find it sluggish down low a high stall will fix that problem.

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
yeh a tune is on the cards
got a few more mods to do yet i think maybe a bigger throttle body possibly a twin setup dunno though wat are ur thoughts on that?? then diff gears and shift kit. then ill tune it. im quietly hoping for 200kws wat do you think the chances of that are?? crow claim a 28% increase from there stage three kit

ALSO stall convertors?? HOW MUCH AM I LOOKING AT FOR THAT? IS IT AN EASY JOB??

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
my personal opinion is to stay as far away as possible from those bored out t/b's and twin setups, its a waste of money and you'll be doing yourself a favour sticking to the stock t/b, which is more than sufficient.
diff gears and shift kit get a big :thumbsup:

as for what figures this thing will pull on the dyno after all the work, its really just a guesstimate, based on what others have with the same sort of mods.
when you say your quietly hoping for 200kw, do you mean at the wheels?? or at the engine?? its not going to happen at the wheels, thats for sure, but you "might" come close to 200kw at the engine.
200kw at the engine is about 200rwhp, which is at the far end of the scale for n/a worked ecotecs, meaning there's not alot of people at or above 200rwhp n/a.
im still sticking to my guess of around 130rwkw/175rwhp. which is a conservative guesstimate just so i dont get your hopes up for huge figures.

oh, and a high stall can cost anything from a couple of hundred to over a grand. but for what you need id say you'd probably only need to spend about $300-$400 on one. its just a matter of supplying the converter builder with your cam specs and other details (tyre size, diff ratio, etc..) for him to work out what you need.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
200RWKWs i wish mate lol would be great maybe with a blower later on i guess. so u reckon i get a stallie made up hey?? just not an of the shelf one? thanks for ur help mate

yeah man, get a stallie made up. i got mine done by red diamond, custom built to suit all the **** ive done to my car and it only costed me $300+freight.
only too glad to help mate.