Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam or Supercharge???

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
bolt a supercharger on to a stock 6.2 With 5 psi would spit out 395kw i would think but im no expert
but i would agree once you start playing with cams and mapping there would be little difference with the 200 cc difference.
but these kits are advertised as bolt on to you car as is

yep ... but the figures are always from "optimistic" dynos. I've not heard of anyone getting over 300rwkw on a mainline with just a 5psi bolt-on without tune, full exhaust etc. Even if it is 300rwkw it's not going to be 395kw at the flywheel.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
theres a guy on here with a vy clubby charged and cammed, last i knew he was pulling just over 400rwkw.

and i would assume that a ve 6 lt would be able to make similar power if not more than a vy 5.7lt

he has a smallish cam tho

his user name is farlig

benji09ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.05 SSV UTE
yep ... but the figures are always from "optimistic" dynos. I've not heard of anyone getting over 300rwkw on a mainline with just a 5psi bolt-on without tune, full exhaust etc. Even if it is 300rwkw it's not going to be 395kw at the flywheel.

i have a 2.5 inch cat back exhaust and a tune at the moment im leaning towards the cams thought. at the moment i average 14l/100km what should i expect with cams or supercharger?

Last edited:

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
i have a 2.5 inch cat back exhaust and a tune at the moment im leaning towards the camms thought. at the moment i average 14l/100km what should i expect with camms or supercharger?

You'll be looking to change your cam (just the one).

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
You'll be looking to change your cam (just the one).

Awwww c'mon - surely 2 has to be better than 1????

Reaper

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Awwww c'mon - surely 2 has to be better than 1????

Reaper

lol. If you can squeeze another one in there you may as well, you could run one for inlet and one for exhaust. Double lumpy goodness!

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
i have a 2.5 inch cat back exhaust and a tune at the moment im leaning towards the cams thought. at the moment i average 14l/100km what should i expect with cams or supercharger?

I'm getting 17-18 city + bit of freeway driving, 11-12 country.

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
I have gone and would reccomend going the Cam option. As Simon has said, the sound and performance is fantastic and also reminds me of muscle cars of yesteryear.

I cant really comment on the consumption yet as my car is ATM returning around 35l/100 in the city. Will let you know once the car is retuned now that it has hit 5000km.

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
why not go both.