Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam recommendations

THIRÍO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS S2
Hi all, I’m wondering if anyone can give me some recommendations on which cam to go with. I’m after a cam with a noticeable lumpy idle but not so lumpy that it begins to push. Cheers :)

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
the walkinshaw w407 is a great street cam for a auto or manual, i think it was ground for walkinshaw by camtech which have now closed but most camshaft grinders have a similar grind, specs are 222in-228ex at .50, lift is .585in-.591ex with 116lsa
walkinshaw tested half a dozen grinds for there w407 NA and w547 subercharged packages and chose the above grind
its only a small cam but has a nice lobey idle note and rocks the car gently at the traffic lights
matched with correct beehive springs its also easy on the valve train not being over 600thou lift
you can drive it everyday mines a manual and only fault i can say thats very minor is a low speed snatch but its hardly noticeable
its always better to go a smaller cam than a big one on the street
any cam around those specs will work great , compcams, crane, isky, vcm ect should have something close
good luck mate, make sure to do exhaust , intake ect to enhance the power

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Depends on transmission and final gears

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
I have the W407 cam in my S1 redline, as said above nice lopey idle and very easy to live with on a daily basis , mines an auto and have no complaints

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I have the W407 cam in my S1 redline, as said above nice lopey idle and very easy to live with on a daily basis , mines an auto and have no complaints
Did the car get much louder (exhaust) after the new cam?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
N906.jpg

Camshaft_spec_guide_V7_final_2048x2048.jpg

A guy at work has the VCM883 in his LS3, got a good lope to it but it needs a high stall converter or it pushes through the brakes. He drops it into neutral at the lights, when he drops it into gear the back of the car starts to move about a decent amount. Makes good power though, 440hp to the wheels IIRC. It does suck the gas.

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Did the car get much louder (exhaust) after the new cam?
Hi Daves8, wouldn’t say it any louder as in db’s but a different sound due the lope , just go for it , you know you want to

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Hi Daves8, wouldn’t say it any louder as in db’s but a different sound due the lope , just go for it , you know you want to
I was looking at the superstock cam
By GM Motorsport but concerned it would be significantly louder db wise