Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam Signal Error 48

craigy09

Reaction score
I recently bought a l67 vt and its started to idle pretty rough... It has new leads/plugs etc etc and i checked the error codes and it came up with 48.
I bought a new sensor and the error is still coming up and its still running rough? Any ideas?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Check the sensor wiring and connectors etc, also check that the camshaft sensor pickup magnet is still sitting in its locating hole in the camshaft sprocket. Just remove the sensor, and slowly turn the engine by hand until you can see the pickup magnet in the hole on the sprocket.. I was getting code 48, and found that the cam sensor pickup magnet had come loose, and it fell completely out of the sprocket, it actually moved forward in the sprocket hole and hit the cam sensor, which then shattered it into pieces. The timing cover etc had to come off so I could remove the old broken bits of magnet and fit a new one. When this sensor was not working, the car stalled sometimes when idling at the lights etc, and it would idle really rough a lot of the time. Ive read before that this has also happened to some of these engines used in the USA, and that some people glue their cam sensor pickup magnet into its locating hole in the camshaft sprocket so it cant move and hit the sensor..

craigy09

Reaction score
So its not a simple take new one out of package and install?

Also i seem to be having a weird problem... putting into drive its fine, but if i put it into park the engine feels like its almost about to stall and goes to like 100rpm then goes back to normal and seems to really stutter in park. Any ideas?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
So its not a simple take new one out of package and install?

Also i seem to be having a weird problem... putting into drive its fine, but if i put it into park the engine feels like its almost about to stall and goes to like 100rpm then goes back to normal and seems to really stutter in park. Any ideas?

The cam angle sensor will cause it to do this. As I said above in my other post, my engine would stall and idle heaps rough etc without the cam angle sensor working. As soon as the cam angle sensor was fixed, it idled and ran perfectly again.
If the pickup magnet is missing from the camshaft sprocket, the timing cover will have to come off to retrieve the old magnet and to fit a new one.

craigy09

Reaction score
Guessing im better off putting it in the shop to look then? Was hoping it was a simple buy new sensor and plug it in and im good to go :p.

craigy09

Reaction score
Ok so i took it into the mechanic today and he ran it through the scan tool which brang up the same error when the cars running and off. So i guess ill pull it apart tomorrow and move it around and see if the magnet is still there. Is it an easy job to fix if the magnet isn't there?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Did you end up checking if the cam sensor pickup magnet is still there?

craigy09

Reaction score
I pulled the sensor out and i couldn't turn the engine part inside it. but it was lined up to a hole where there was nothing in it if that helps =-/