Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam Surge

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Long answer?

$20k in engine rebuilds through learning what not to do:p:p:p

Guess there is hugely accessible knowledge base through the HPtune forums. But could it still be a case of knowing enough to be dangerous but not enough to be safe :rolleyes: I’m all for self learning and sharing info :cool:
it all takes time to learn how it all fits together, and i can say u never stop learning or finding out stuff, being able to estimate a change in a table on laptop to the change it makes on a mechanical running engine is some of the battle but over time once u have been doing it for a while it all starts to mold together, recommendations is to just read as much as u can about the gen4 platform and any tables u want to adjust, always keep a trail of your adjustments (files) so u can always go back if it dosnt work out, then logging data there are many things u can do there but getting the best data for the correction u want to make is more important then the adjustment itself, hptuners forum is good plenty of data or even asking on here there are tuners here that are willing to help with there knowledge

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Long answer?

$20k in engine rebuilds through learning what not to do:p:p:p

Guess there is hugely accessible knowledge base through the HPtune forums. But could it still be a case of knowing enough to be dangerous but not enough to be safe :rolleyes: I’m all for self learning and sharing info :cool:
Long response?

I’m not one to take risks and do things by halves. I’d make sure to do the proper research on what I’m doing as LS engines are expensive to replace!

Short response?

Im all good as I watch High Performance Academy for the fun of learning!

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
i would not trust anyone with my car, the performance industry has exploded with get rich quick workshops, all self taught and learning turning on costumers cars and not interested in problems after they have your doe
its not that some turners dont want to correct engine running problems for costumers cars , its they dont know how
sure they can tune an engine wide open throttle on a car and run 9s
its been going on for a long time, be carefull where you take your car
I witnessed an engine failure built by one of these drag racer shops in court years ago and the engine builder wanted to dispute my findings. The magistrate requested his qualifications and he was a television technician and was considered unqualified to give evidence on engine condition. There was another scenario like this and the engine builder was a pastry cook by trade. It doesn't mean these unqualified guys don't have the mechanical aptitude to become an automotive tradesman but they also haven't been trained and tested to the required standards either.

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
So they finally agreed to my claims about surging and stated the surging is happening due to the nature of the cam. They claim it does it because RPM fluctuate 50-70 rpm Under light throttle and coasting. I’ve taken there response with a grain of salt but I’m just going to leave it as it is they claim it won’t break or damage anything. I understand people have recommended the mvpi 2 tool however I really can’t justify it atm After spending 5.5k two months ago.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Still annoying, I wonder if a better tune could sort it out.

Reactions: HDJ

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
most defiantly
Finding a place capable of getting the final adjustments just right will be the issue. Plenty of places out there that can get it almost right but almost is not good enough.....

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
The only issue is finding a tuner. Do you have any recommendations?
not sure but there should be someone up there but downside is they will prob charge u full cost again, if u do end up getting the hptuners id be happy to have a look and see what can be done, will be something in there they dont have the time to test and understand

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L