Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam upgrade

Dizzy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss thunder Ute l98 6-speed 6ltr
hey guys, just had an option to buy a L77 6L cam off the vf, it would be going on my L98 ss thunder Ute vz, for $200 with 50000kms on it , my ute has 130000k and is stock only mid is wildcat extractors hi flow cats & twin 3” xforce catback just installed, think I should get it and is there anything else I need to know or get to get the most out of it? Bit of an alder novice, know how everything works but not the knowledge some of you guys have, any thoughts?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Its not really a performance cam, was designed for 'Displacement on demand' fitted to L76 and L77's.
If you really want to cam your engine, get a decent cam...

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
doesn't seem worth the effort, the cam is the cheapest part of a cam upgrade pretty much, the time and labour and other parts you need will cost more so you might as well get a decent cam you with a profile you actually like

Dizzy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
Fair enough, any suggestions on a decent cam I’ll be happy with and worth doing? I hear comp cams get thrown around a lot but all I’m really going to do to engine is new lifters probly just the same performance replacements and the cam then the otr cold air and wet injection fogger no’s and mad tune as it does have 130000km and will be doing more to a new block in a cpl years but for now just stuck on what cam and lifters to go with it. Any suggestions? Thanks much appreciated

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Do what I did to my VZ L76. Done a dod delete & fitted a stock LS3 cam, springs intake & exhaust tuned & picked up 60rwkw.

Dizzy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks but from what I’m told that’s basically the only difference between your l76 and my l98, the l98 doesn’t have did dod anyway ,so what your saying is get a cam off the 6.2ltr and get a tune ?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
The stock cams are a waste of time if your going to all that effort and expense for a very mild gain, the guy above probably picked up most of that power gain thru the intake exhaust and tune granted the LS3 cam is a bit better than the stock l76 or l98 cam there wouldn’t be much gain in it... have a look at the vcm website they have a good range of cams to choose from anywhere from mild to wild

Dizzy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
[QUOTE="vr304: thanks mate I will have a look now