Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Camera advice - selling my old Kodak and buying a new Olympus

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
First off I am looking to sell my Kodak DX6490. It's been a trusty and reliable camera but it is time to upgrade. Opinions on what it's worth?

PID547us41C2833QDRL.jpg

Uhh, I don't really know what features to describe but it has 10x optical zoom, 4 MEGApixels (lol), umm, mildly customisable settings. Also has camera case, charger, software, cables, 2 genuine batteries, 2gb card plus 3 other smaller ones.. lens tube, 4 different lenses. It probably has more stuff somewhere. How much do you think I should sell it for? Oh, it's in awesome condition.. I don't treat my stuff like **** and have always looked after it.

I am looking at an Olypmus camera, preferably something from their water/shock proof range. I want this for my trip to Vanuatu in about 2 months time. I am undecided on the 6000 or 8000 series.

Any opinions welcome :)

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Personally I don't like Olympus, but that's without any real reason lol. Just don't like them.

If you're wanting something small, portable, and damage-proof, I think they are probably the way to go though. But if you're not looking for that in particular, I'd definitely want a low-end DSLR instead :p

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Personally I don't like Olympus, but that's without any real reason lol. Just don't like them.

If you're wanting something small, portable, and damage-proof, I think they are probably the way to go though. But if you're not looking for that in particular, I'd definitely want a low-end DSLR instead :p
That's pretty much what I am after.. I'm not into facny-pants photography, I just need a point and shoot. Does anyone else make shock/water proof cameras that ISN'T a cheap-arsed chinese brand like half the ones you see on Ebay?

Slippy_Trippy

Unicorn Shepard
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II Commodore Acclaim
Durability Olympus wins but for good compacts the Panasonic Lumix series are great and they have Leica lens.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Panasonic do a shockproof range aswell i think. You can buy underwater cases for pretty much any camera these days aswell.

Why are you so interested in the shockproof/waterproof ones?

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Panasonic do a shockproof range aswell i think. You can buy underwater cases for pretty much any camera these days aswell.

Why are you so interested in the shockproof/waterproof ones?
I bought an underwater case for my Kodak but it's pretty povo. It's just like an sandwich bag. I'm looking at waterproof (mainly) for Vanuatu when snorkeling and for when I go out fishing.

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
I bought an underwater case for my Kodak but it's pretty povo. It's just like an sandwich bag. I'm looking at waterproof (mainly) for Vanuatu when snorkeling and for when I go out fishing.

Snorkeling, ok. Just don't go scuba diving. They can't go more than 3-5 metres ;)

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
lol the tube in your mouth part is the issue with me. I always go that little bit to far and get a big **** off mouth full of awesome sea water