Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Camshaft Alignment Tools - Advice Wanted

Classic327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Commodore 3ltr - 82 Chevy Pickup
Hi guys, I need to replace the timing chains on my 2009 VE Commodore (Omega) 3Ltr V6 SIDI.
I am confident doing this job as I have rebuilt 2 engines previously. However I need advice about the Camshaft Alignment Tools (CAT).
The Haynes repair manual specifies CAT for VE Series 1 models part # EN-46105-1 and EN-46105-2, for VE Series 2 and VF models the CAT part #EN48383 and EN48383 (2) available through SPX Tools. I could not find the tools with the part # 46105 at all. I was advised by Mace Engineering the 48383 would be suitable. Due to postage times I bought the Toledo CAT 30473 for VE & VF 3Ltr & 3.6 V6 SIDI. It has 3 tools with OEM part #48383 (1,2and3).
The thing that has me really confused is the description for tool 1 - LH Cam Stage 1, Tool 2 - LH Cam Stage 2 and Tool 3 - RH Cam Stage 2. I'm thinking Stage 1 - Factory standard cam, and Stage 2 must be a mild lumpy cam. There is no tool identified as being for the RH Cam Stage 1. I'm thinking the RH Stage 2 might also do the RH Stage 1.
If anyone knows for sure can you please advise?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
You only need the tools if you're taking the cam phasers off. If you're only doing chains you don't need the cam lock tools.

Classic327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Commodore 3ltr - 82 Chevy Pickup
Thanks, I have not started the job yet I was just reading through the Haynes manual, it said to use the cam lock tools. I just saw a good video and they didn't use the lock tools (just as you said). It also clarified the stage 1 and stage 2, it refers to the different timing positions throughout the procedure.
Thanks for your help :cool: