Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can’t align wheels. lower, upper, inner, outer?

Mick06 svz

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz svz 3.5l alloytec
So the wife returns the vz home after getting 2 front tyres replaced today but no wheel alignment could be done as requested due to unknown damage because the wife can’t remember what the service desk attendant said about damage and where, we have no documentation on receipt about it and I’ve called the business in question but they have not documented anything on paper. I understand torn rubber bushes are an obvious sign to replace but are there any other checks I can do to help pinpoint where the damage is located? I’ve heard lifting the front end up and while listening for clunks violently (with hands) jiggle the wheel left and right will tell you it’s outer tie rod end bushes or bearing. Placing hands 12 and 6 o’clock position will let you know lower control bushes are damaged. I’m wondering if these techniques are worthwhile trying or anyone else could give me some pointers as this would be my first attempt at replacing parts in said area. is it common for a particular part to wear then others? Highly unlikely the car has structural damage as the wife is honest about her activity in the car and a quick inspection was done on my end. Took it for a drive and steering seems fine, no shudders and straight.
Thanks guys, any help would be much appreciated.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
They wont align if the strut top bushes are badly worn, see if theres a gap between the hats and the body under the bonnet.

Mick06 svz

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz svz 3.5l alloytec
They wont align if the strut top bushes are badly worn, see if theres a gap between the hats and the body under the bonnet.
I’m assuming you’re talking about this

Attachments

• IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0821.jpg
    IMG_0821.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 94

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
If there is excessive play in the front end an alignment can't be done with any accuracy. Jack the car up and check for any excessive play in the rack end, tie rods, wheel bearings, lower ball joints, control arm bushes or castor bushes. Or a much simpler option would be to take it back to the tyre shop & say your wife bought tyres there the other day, couldn't get an alignment due to front end play. Can you recheck it & tell me what's wrong with the car.

Mick06 svz

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz svz 3.5l alloytec
Thanks for the feedback guys cheers.
I think I’m better off going back and getting it rechecked. argh!! this certainly looks like one issue found but several more pop up type of fixes. Shockies are probably due by now so while I’m replacing top strut mount bushes I’ll replace all 4 shocks.

Cheers

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Yep those strut top bushes are cactus.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
I believe a degree of toe in, is better than a degree of toe out, if you have some play in the front and can't get it fixed immediately.
Obviously get it fixed before other components get damaged.

Which tyre and auto shop did you take it to? Have you complained to their HQ.