Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can a 4L60E be made to work with no computer???

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
a mate of mine is building an old dodge pick-up that will be running a mild carbureted small block chev, he has found a good 4L60E out of either a vr or vs and what we need to know is..

is there any way this box can be made to work without a computer? i'm well aware that the 4L60E is electronically controlled and that the vn-vp T700 would be the prefered option, but im wondering wether say fitting a full manual shift kit, or even an earlier non electronic valve body out of a T700 would make the 4L60E work ok on its own?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I'm not 100% sure, but I would assume it would need the computer to power all the solenoids and stuff.

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
You can have it built so it is a full manual shifted auto and flick the lock up torque converter and then there is no need for any computer for the box.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i am looking at doing this to the 454 going into the impala. so far i have read that:

the 700-r4 has a different bolt pattern on the nose, so you cant take a speedo cable nose and fit it to the 4l60e. BUT there is a mob in the states modifying the noses to fit the 700r4 speedo cable. apparently there is a gear on the output shaft to mate with the speedo gear: GM 700R4 4L60E TAIL HOUSING NO MOUNT HOLES LARGE SPEEDO | eBay but i still have my doubts about it. because the more pics i look at of the 4l60e's output shaft, there is no accomodation for a gear and the more i look at the snouts, there are 4 holes for the 700 and 6 holes for the 4l60e

so really the only option i have found is at castlemain rod shop: (SCXBOX - CABLE X ELECTRONIC ADAPTOR - $895.00)
Speedo cables and accessories
which take the speed pulse signal from the gearbox and converts it to mechanical (speedo cable) drive.

the more i read into the manual switch for the torque lockup, the less i like the idea. you will need to constantly remember to turn it off, because supposedly the clutches for it are UBER weak, and having it locked while moving off from a stationary position (from what people are saying) pretty much destroys them.

all of what i know has been read in the past 4 days thanks to google. so i am really keen to hear input on this swap too. i would rather have a 4l60e or a 4l65e (or 4l80e but im not a millionaire) in the impala than a 700r4.

edit* bah! re-read original post. you wanna know the opposite :( soz. im not deleting that post :p why not just use a 700r4 with cable kickdown? its already set to work with no ecu afaik.

Last edited: