Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can anyone identify this thing fitted in the Boot?

WeeGee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG S-Pack Ute M5 (L27) and VF2 SS A6 (LS3)
It looks very likely to be a lateral acceleration sensor (or similar) for the ESP as its basically directly above the rear axle/diff. If its not that, which seems unusual that its not in a fully moulded plastic case perhaps its related to the fuel tank or ABS monitoring?

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
I think the misses is keeping an eye on the car.

Making sure your not doing anything you shouldn't.

Henry19720

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY15 Man Sedan, MY17 SSVR Man Sedan
Removed the Boot Carpet today and found an odd looking item in the boot behind the back seat door. Any clues?? Obviously a factory fitted thing. Is it a temperature sensor?
View attachment 197193 View attachment 197191

Top marks MWB235! Looks like the rear compartment antenna:-

Rear Compartment Antenna 

This antenna is located in the centre of the rear compartment metal floor pan, near the seatback. 

The rear compartment antenna is used for vehicle starting functions. When the ignition mode switch is pressed, the antenna is energized or "pinged". This emits a low frequency challenge signal that is received by the keyless entry transmitter. The transmitter will then reply to this challenge with a response and, if correct, vehicle starting will occur.

M

mwb235

Thanks Henry19720. The red colour in the OP’s post threw me, but I did recognise that resin-type stuff they sometimes use in electronics to seal up things (not sure what it’s called). I had my centre console out recently and saw the same thing, but blue. I just checked my ‘14 Calais V and sure enough it has a blue one on the boot floor also (see pics). My last pic is of a spare centre console wiring loom I have. It’s reassuring to know my memory still works!
890308ED-468E-4493-96F2-BA25CDB09B70.jpeg
D1FB0CB5-FED0-4F70-8261-A2A44CBD051F.jpeg

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
It looks very likely to be a lateral acceleration sensor (or similar) for the ESP as its basically directly above the rear axle/diff. If its not that, which seems unusual that its not in a fully moulded plastic case perhaps its related to the fuel tank or ABS monitoring?

YAW sensor is part of the SDM module located under the centre console at the rearmost end.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Thanks Henry19720. The red colour in the OP’s post threw me, but I did recognise that resin-type stuff they sometimes use in electronics to seal up things (not sure what it’s called). I had my centre console out recently and saw the same thing, but blue. I just checked my ‘14 Calais V and sure enough it has a blue one on the boot floor also (see pics). My last pic is of a spare centre console wiring loom I have. It’s reassuring to know my memory still works!View attachment 197218 View attachment 197219

These two parts are two key fob sensors. The one in the boot is used to receive the signal from the remote when the key button is pressed to open/close doors or remote start the car. The other blue receiver sits in behind the console and is used to pick up the key fob to make sure it is in the car for starting of engine and passive door locks. Without this sensor, the doors will not lock automatically if you have that option turned on when you leave the vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
These two parts are two key fob sensors. The one in the boot is used to receive the signal from the remote when the key button is pressed to open/close doors or remote start the car. The other blue receiver sits in behind the console and is used to pick up the key fob to make sure it is in the car for starting of engine and passive door locks. Without this sensor, the doors will not lock automatically if you have that option turned on when you leave the vehicle.

Hope this helps.
It does! I mean it didn't actually affect me in any way, but I wanted to know what the thing was dagnabbit! :)
Ta muchly!!

WeeGee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG S-Pack Ute M5 (L27) and VF2 SS A6 (LS3)
Update: Report in today from GM Customer Assistance says it is the "Rear Compartment Keyless Entry Antenna. This is the Antenna that allows the remote in the Key Fob to unlock the vehicle."

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Update: Report in today from GM Customer Assistance says it is the "Rear Compartment Keyless Entry Antenna. This is the Antenna that allows the remote in the Key Fob to unlock the vehicle."

See post #26.