Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can anyone know of a good v6 preformance guide?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Cam and stroker would see it 14 flat with the right gear box mods, correct diff ratio, the right suspension and tyres and a good driver me thinks.

There are a few write ups in the stickies.

RCAddict84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Sounds expensive... Hummm. I think I might sell the supercharger and the VR, that would make a nice deposit on a xr6 turbo... There is one around the corner for $8,500 thants spitting out 330kw at the wheels....

IMO I think that's the way to go, it's a whole lot more car, and should be considerably safer and more durable.... Just a pity it's not a Holden.

Jas.G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 4.3litre
i ran a 13.7et in my 3.8l v6 with all topend work+exhaust an tune with some drivetrain stuff(3.45 diff an 2800stall)... i know of 2x 3.8l's also that have run low 13with (no boost, no nitrous)but was a full built motors with std cranks, one was a VR an the other a VS bodied commodore

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
U probably r betting selling ur vr and getting a better car, what about a vx or vy ss commy 6 speed manual? The ls1 is a great performance engine easy horsepower from them too

Last edited:

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
There is that $$ again ...

2002 Holden Calais Sedan SUPERCHARGED | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Gold Coast City - Ashmore | 1077452686

You can put on "mikey mouse" bolt on's .
Or you can build a real engine ,
Or you can just buy a supercharged V6 or a latter model commodore ( 170kw to 190kw )

Sit down in front of your computer , start pricing your options . ( Like your power goals and what it will cost ($) to archive )

Price of headers / exhaust system , price of heads ( new or Ported ) , DIF mods , Pistons , Cams .. ( Cost of Work )

And then see what it will cost to just buy a car thats already there .

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
You have a buick just turbo it? Step 1 turbo
Step 2 win.

The buicks love boost delcowizard runs 21 pound daily has cooked it numerous times, boost spikes over 30psi and only recently had to replace a 300,000 ok old head gasket ....

If u can fab you can do it for under $1500, blow the engine big deal $400 sees a new one! Can't do that with an xr6

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
Hmmmm ,

You have a buick just turbo it? Step 1 turbo
Step 2 win.

The buicks love boost delcowizard runs 21 pound daily has cooked it numerous times, boost spikes over 30psi and only recently had to replace a 300,000 ok old head gasket ....

If u can fab you can do it for under $1500, blow the engine big deal $400 sees a new one! Can't do that with an xr6

Interesting !
If you had your own shop , you could maybe do it for $1500 in parts .. And the Skill to go with that ..
If you lack the workshop and the skill ..

The FIT Workshop - Forced Induction Technologies, Australia

Ecotec V6 Commodore turbo kit - HOLDEN COMMODORE - VT-VZ COMMODORE - ECOTEC V6 SINGLE TURBO KIT T-600 STEALTH - ASETurbo Kit price - NOT installed ..

There are very few free lunches these days

jesterhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S L67, VP Commodore SS
Hi RCAdict.
I own a VX with the supercharged V6. She goes pretty well as a daily family driver. From memory I think from factory they put out about 240 - 250 hp and around 390 - 400 Nm. The charger runs at 6 psi.
They're good enough figures I reckon, but I think that we all can agree that more power is never a bad thing. The 3.8 will be able to run 10 psi safely without pulling the pants off the engine.
As Bowen said, these engines love boost. The first design of the engine was used in 1987 in the Buick GNX, only the engine was (I think) 4.1 - 4.2 litres and ran a single turbo. I'd imagine your six will respond pretty well to that meaty Vortec coffee grinder you have in your lucky hands lol.
So yeah, boost is always a good option. If I were you, I'd save the V1 for a V8 project, since you're not sure you're really into your car, and go for a turbo or swap a factory supercharged engine. Either way it'll be very good practice.

mtmoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 WB UTE
If you want power for cheap $, Just give the thing a tune. Take it down to your nearest car tuner and tell him you want more power.

I know that with some of the v8's from chevy you can make 360+ hp with a exhaust and a tune, so you should be able to get good results with that combo, plus you have extractors.

Personaly i would just buy another car with a ls1 or some v8 in it.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
If you want power for cheap $, Just give the thing a tune. Take it down to your nearest car tuner and tell him you want more power.

I know that with some of the v8's from chevy you can make 360+ hp with a exhaust and a tune, so you should be able to get good results with that combo, plus you have extractors.

Personaly i would just buy another car with a ls1 or some v8 in it.

Op has a buick v6, running on the delco, any old tuner can't tune it let alone make power, even a good delco tuner would struggle to make 15kw on the stocker,

Bolt ons aren't real great bang for buck in my opinion.....

I still say boost haha