Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can anyone tell me how to start my vx commodore when i physically cant get my key to turn in the ignition barrel?

Hubcap4

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore
Can anyone tell me how to start my vx commodore when i physically cant get my key to turn in the ignition barrel?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Is it the steering lock or has the barrel broken? Giving the wheel a shake when you turn the key does nothing?

Outside of hotwiring the car while the key is in the ignition (don't really like your chances on that one), you can't really

Hubcap4

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore
Is it the steering lock or has the barrel broken? Giving the wheel a shake when you turn the key does nothing?

Outside of hotwiring the car while the key is in the ignition (don't really like your chances on that one), you can't really
Well i think it might have been the barrel but since then the steering lock has came on, how do i hot wire it though? And would the steering lock come off with hot wireing it with the key in the barrel?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Well i think it might have been the barrel but since then the steering lock has came on, how do i hot wire it though? And would the steering lock come off with hot wireing it with the key in the barrel?

The steering lock comes off, when the ignition barrel is turned or removed

Doubt anyone will post on here how to hot wire it.....

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You will need to replace either the key and/or the ignition barrel.

If the key is old and worn sometimes you can manipulate the key a bit and it will unlock but really you need a new key then. If the steering lock has engaged than you will need to move the steering will and hold it so it's not loading up against the barrel and then try turning the key.

If non of this works than a lock smith might be required.

Reactions: Lex

RWD4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 ute
You will need to replace either the key and/or the ignition barrel.

If the key is old and worn sometimes you can manipulate the key a bit and it will unlock but really you need a new key then. If the steering lock has engaged than you will need to move the steering will and hold it so it's not loading up against the barrel and then try turning the key.

If non of this works than a lock smith might be required.
After 20 years, the ignition barrel will be giving trouble. I've had this happen to me. I happened to have a spare key that was freshly cut to code. Jiggling that got the car started, and I took it straight to dealer workshop to get ignition barrel replaced.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Problems like this is a good reason to only have the ignition key in the barrel and no other keys hanging off it when you are driving.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
as a temporary fix you can remove the ignition switch and turn it manually but the key still needs to be in the barrel for the anti-theft system.

i found this out because the little lug or whatever it was at the end of the barrel snapped in the switch and my key just spun freely.

sounds like you might be up for a new barrel and keys, time to hit up a locksmith i'd say.

no hotwiring just a bunch of pulling your ignition apart. you still need the key there will get you out of trouble short term.

can't remember how i disabled the steering wheel lock, or maybe it wasn't engaged.

Hubcap4

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore
Hey guys just thought i should let you all know how i got around the issue with the ignition barrel.
1. disconnected the battery.
2. I scraped a finger nail sized pile of led off of a pencil (grafite) and manipulated it into the barrel with a straw.
3. Put the key in and out about a dozen or so times.
4. Got proper cranky at the ****** and reefed the steering wheel back and forth againts the steering lock while aggressively try to turn the key back and forth think i was probably going to break the key but i had a spare so my thoughts were **** it, after some particular cursing n general abuse the key just went click n away it turned.. was a bit sticky on the first part of the key turning for about 6 or 7 times but now shes as good as second hand once again.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!
Appreciate it!