Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can cats rattle at high rpms?

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
I think one of my cats it rattling when my rpms get to abot 3500 or above that, i think it's the cats because it sounds like it comes from near the gear box on the passager side, sounds like it's under the seat! It's like a vibrating sound it's pritty loud, sounds like it's in the car, I had a look in the car but nothen is loose!

noddycommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore bt1
They easiest way to check if your cats rattling is to jack up the p/s of the car and give your a firm wack with a soft hammer or your hand. If it rattles it's stuffed and that's your problem if not there is a heat shield on top of the cat that's bolted to the floor that may also be your problem

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
If one is stuffed I was thinkn sum hi flows, I have a twin 2 1/2 inch cat back would adding hi flows make any improvment! I'm guessing it would if one cat is stuffed?

nick_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6
If the internal biscuit is stuffed in your cats then they will only rattle on idle. If the welds that secure the heatshields on the cats are buggered then they will rattle at any rpms, any speed,etc.

MR_RX3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR - V6 BT1
Sounds like cats .. best thing is to just change with hiflows .. job done . give that little extra performance also