Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can i fit a VP motor into my VR

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
BOOZTJUNKEY, so you have a VR Auto ECU converted to manual? I can't see how this is possible... I hope you didn't fall for the ebay ones. Chances are the cam angle sensor has been switched off and so has all the other auto codes. You need a Manual VR ECM or a VP ECM in order to have the idle and fuel at it's best. That bloke on ebay claims that the Auto VR ECU is coverted to a VR Manual ECM but as far as know it's only the memcal re tuned so the ECU still wont receive the speed signal pulse which is different with a manual box hence why they use a different computer in the Manual VR for that exact reason.

I have been all through this myself and ran the Auto ECU with the memcal redone with auto codes turned off but wasn't happy the way it was running.
I have a manual ECM and harness from a Manual VR V6 executive and I'm happy because now it's running how it should.

Last edited:

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
So is it just a timing cover change and it should be be fine or should I just get a be motor

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
So is it just a timing cover change and it should be be fine or should I just get a be motor

Not worth the headake. I think you can just get the memcal redone with the cam angle sensor turned off and it will still run fine but not 100% sure on this.

Chaser X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Moded 400HP,6Spd www.cardomain.com/id/chaserx
$#!+ youve got a bit of cash. I just seen the turn over you made from rebuilding cars.
I have a V8 5 ltr in my VR. Regularly serviced with a new harmonic balancer. Runs smooth. Comes with upgraded injectors. Just shooting a figure of $2500. If you pull it out off my car & put in a L98 into mine & do the change over of parts required (ECM) I'll give you a grand off. That would bring it to $1500.
Ive got my car in the body work shop getting resprayed & with the figure for the new paint job & bodykit fitted, as well as having a monaro hood, I figure ive got to put something in it to make it somewhere near as tuff as it looks @ a reasonable price. The only problem is theres nothing wrong with my engine. So I figure I could wait 2 years, & see how my engines doing then, or get something for it now :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Old thread but I have a similar issue. I have a bloke who wants the engine from my donor but it must be an earlier engine as the timing case is missing the hole for the cam sensor. Can he just swap the covers over and it will work? Or should I tell him it's no go?