Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can smell oil in the coolant resivoir

mundine

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn
hi guy

can some 1 help me with this problem when i check the water in my vn i can smell oil in my coolant and is a dark and rusty color i have flushed it but sill comes back the rust and smell off oil has no blowing head gasket the mainafold is not leaking have had it pressor tested and is lossing pressor but we do not know where it is leaking from it dosent seem to be leaking from what i can see
can someone help me please cheers

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
check under your oil cap, is it milky? if so could be the head gone, i would highly consider, unles you havent alredy, takeing the whole radiator out and high pressure washing it to make sure you got all the crap out of it.

mundine

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn
i have checked under the oil cap and dipstick there is no milky colour uner cap or dipstick this what i can not work out

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
Could there be a possibility that you have transmission fluid leaking into your radiator? How old is the radiator??? The Transmission oil cooler pipes run through the radiator and may be leaking and collecting rust from the radiator along the way. Could mean its getting into your cooling system. I dont know, I may be wrong. Loss of compression is one of two things - Worn piston rings or worn valves. You could have two problems... ?

mundine

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn
it not blowing smoke the car seems to run strong but the radiator is old i have not lossed any transmission oil

Last edited:

mundine

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn
i have checked that and it dose not seem to leak but i have notice the oil needs to be toped up every 2 weeks i think the onley way is to pull the thing apart