Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can someone please explain my e-mail problem

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Hi, i am currently haveing a problem and cant access my jc e-mail. I have explained it in http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/site-feedback-site-problems/78768-server-move.html
Can some explain in simple terms why i cant access my account please.
Darren has been helpful but i dont know what POP3 clients such as Outlook, Thunderbird etc means.
I am not the most computer literate person and i have not come accross these terms before. I had a look at the wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop3 but i still cant understand what it is.

Cheers Shane

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
POP3 is a mail transfer protocal, similar to express post or fedex in the real world. Its just a way computers send and recieve mail.

Oulook and Thunderbird a applications or programs which run in windows (and some other operating systems like osx and linux)

You need to get a mail program and then congigure your mail settings to work with the program.

aZk.

Fr3ak+--

Closed On Monday
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Exec 5 Speed
POP3 is a mail transfer protocal, similar to express post or fedex in the real world. Its just a way computers send and recieve mail.

Oulook and Thunderbird a applications or programs which run in windows (and some other operating systems like osx and linux)

You need to get a mail program and then congigure your mail settings to work with the program.

aZk.

he has pretty much got it

pop3 programs are pretty much your post office.. they send and receive your mail

and as darren stated he is currently working on part of the website to act as your post office online but until then you will need
to set up a program on your computer to do it for you

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
he has pretty much got it

pop3 programs are pretty much your post office.. they send and receive your mail

and as darren stated he is currently working on part of the website to act as your post office online but until then you will need
to set up a program on your computer to do it for you

I would have said that "mail client" is australia post or post box, "mail server" is the central mail sorting centre and "pop3" is the route, business rules and postmen + vans/bikes.

You may feel free to PM me or post here asking how to do it if you get stuck... if you have just commodores pop server setting handy post them up too cos i dont know off the top of my head.

aZk.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
thanks for the replies.

i have downloaded thunderbird. i have been using ff for a while so i will set it up using that.
i am up to the server info. what do i type in there?
it is asking for pop or imat
incoming server
use global inbox (need to check or uncheck a box)
outgoing server

any help appreciated. cheers shane

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Incoming server = POP3 not IMAP
Incoming Server Address = mail.justcommodores.com.au
Global box is simply do you want it all bunched up or not, this comes down to personal taste.

Outgoing is your own ISP's mail server, I don't want to get the JC mail server blacklisted as someone didn't have the appropriate protection on their machine from viruses / spyware, that's another story entirely.

If you go to your providers page and click the Support button, under 'Top Support Topics' click 'How do I setup my email account' on the right hand side, on that page you need to pick the appropriate SMTP server.

When it prompts for the user name or account name make sure it's the full address.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
I am now using thunderbird. Is there a way of retrieving the emails i had saved before the server move or are they lost for good? I need a phone number that was in one of them.

Cheers Shane