Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can you change bearings in idler pulleys

matty_r

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs series111 ute
i've pulled out my idler pulleys from the v6 that the bearings are shot!! but i cant seem to punch the bearings out without applying to much force so i dont break pully. Do you have to buy the hole part or can you just replace the bearing?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Usually you just replace the pulley, around $30 if you shop around. I suppose you could replace the bearing by pressing it out.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
Yes you can replace the bearings in the metal pulleys but not the plastic ones as they are sealed in,the bearing numbers are 6204 or 6304 depending on which pulley you want to do and cost about $7 each

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
The original 'plastic' pullys, as said above, have the bearing moulded in them. To press it out will break the lip holding the bearing in. The steel after market pully's, eg, K.C. brand, have the bearings pressed in, with circlip retainer , so they can easily be pressed out when knackered, and replaced.

opti

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
The original 'plastic' pullys, as said above, have the bearing moulded in them. To press it out will break the lip holding the bearing in. The steel after market pully's, eg, K.C. brand, have the bearings pressed in, with circlip retainer , so they can easily be pressed out when knackered, and replaced.

For what the Gates pulleys are worth for a full set, including the tensioner pulley. Why bother with a steel pulley with replaceable bearings? A new set of pulleys will out last the car anyway.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Go for it then OPTI

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I Got the Idle Pulley from AUTOBARNS, $22 and full metal pulley. No More Stupid woshing sound lol

talk2drew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Yeah, I have replaced mine about 3 years ago with Holden genuine, and go figure, it is now knackered... again... but then, for the cost, cheaper than replacing the whole car...

Bit disappointed with how long it didn't last... but then... off to buy another cause I am a sucker...