Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can you get a vy v6 na fully manualised auto?

Elite58

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec N/A Auto
Hi guys just wondering can you get the gear box in a vy v6 na made into a fully manualised auto? If so where can you get it done? I'm in geelong anywhere around there does it? And what sort of cost is involved?

Thanks

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
basically you just need a stage 3 shift kit with manual valve body, any transmission joint or even just a mechanic should be able to sort you out.
if you wanted to shift manually, but be able to put it in "d" and have it auto as well for when your feeling lazy then a stage 2 shift kit will allow this. it'll hold to any rpm in any gear selected and act like a manualised auto untill you put it in "d" where it will act like a regular auto.

Elite58

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec N/A Auto
As in fully manualised as in u tap it forward and back to change gear? Does the stage 2 do that 2?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
not sure what you mean? i think you might be thinking of a sequential auto.
maybe im just confused what you mean, lol.
anyway, stage 3 is completely manual, it will not shift at all unless you move the t-bar into the next gear, kicking back is the same.
stage 2 is the same in 1-2-3 but if in "d" it acts like a regular auto and will shift on its own. it will kick back and behave like an auto would, or you can shift back manually into any selected gear.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
As in fully manualised as in u tap it forward and back to change gear? Does the stage 2 do that 2?

Stage 3 means full manual valve body. No option to ever shift automatically. Stage 2 is hold to any revs but until you get a tune it will still rev limit and change automatically. You can get the tune done to shift manually with power button depressed and shift auto when in "D" economy.

I think that stage 3 is for a vacuum modulated valve body more so than an elctronically controlled vb. Could be wrong but this is the general consesus.

Tony.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII SS
I've never been too flash on shift kits.. so a stage 2 shift kit will in essense make 1 - 2 - 3 on an auto tranny 1 - 2 - 3? as in by selecting 3 you are in 3rd gear and will stay in 3rd gear only??

does shifting through the gears without a shiftkit bugger up the gearbox?

stevoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
s2 vt ss
i can safely say that if you shift without 1 it will suffer horribly, guy i know went through 3 driving if it was a manual in an auto dropping gears and reving guts out, his was covered under warranty though.

i am not stupid ofcourse and want to do it properly so i got some questions:

(with stage 2 shift kit)
1) when you select 3rd while doin 20kms will it select third and shift up?
2) can you still select drive and remain shifting normally?
3) does it need to have the maps on the auto changed at all if so?
4) do you need a stally for this aswell?
5) say i was gonna go a 4.2 stroker and a raptor will anything else need to be done to keep it strong?

some more info would be great that way i can decide whether or not it might be better to just get a manual?