Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can you jump start a VY

ImAHoon!

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Camry?
I know someone who blew a fuse on his head unit in his 89 model ford (i dont know ford models based on year) because the jerk who was jumpstarting him connected the positive AND negative leads straight to the batteries. Make sure the car being jump started has the negative lead on a ground point (a part of the engine is best). As long as you do that you'll be fine.

sorry, but that makes no sense.

normally the only reason you dont connect both leads to the battery is that when you connect it, it will make a small spark, and a charging battery generates hydrogen when it chargers.

there is no risk to anything whatsoever by connecting both leads at the battery, except the possibility of an explosion :p

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
As long as you use 'anti spike' leads you won't have a problem

policehoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EQUIPE
sorry, but that makes no sense.

normally the only reason you dont connect both leads to the battery is that when you connect it, it will make a small spark, and a charging battery generates hydrogen when it chargers.

there is no risk to anything whatsoever by connecting both leads at the battery, except the possibility of an explosion :p

Its got nothing to do with the battery blowing up, its to do with the car's computer electronics. Battery to Battery leads to power spikes which upsets the car's electronics.

It may not happen every time, but when it does, its going to be expensive.

I would not want to be the bearer of bad news to a car owner for being the one responsible for detonating his electrical system.

This system eliminates the possiblity./

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
thats what i wanted to know :) sooo those anti spike leads would be okay???

ImAHoon!

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Camry?
Its got nothing to do with the battery blowing up, its to do with the car's computer electronics. Battery to Battery leads to power spikes which upsets the car's electronics.

I would not want to be the bearer of bad news to a car owner for being the one responsible for detonating his electrical system.

lol, that doesn't make any sense either.,

it doesn't matter where the negative jumper cable is connected on the car, its still connected to the negative terminal of the battery!

lol

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx

By changing the setup from battery to battery to earth points is going to make absolutely no difference to the chance of a voltage spike that could damage the computer on either vehicle.
As correctly stated by others the emphasis on the final connection to an earthing point is so that a spark wont be made at the battery where there is the potential to ignite generated hydrogen. Id consider the risk of this miniscule in open places, where any hydrogen produced quickly rises or that significant amounts arent created until the system has been charging for a while anyway.
There are other advantages to making the connections away from the battery in the car being 'jumped' By making the jumper connection direct from the donor battery terminals to the +ve of the starter and a good earth on the engine block, the circuit effectively becomes ~ 2m shorter and there will be more voltage available at the starter, which could make the difference(especially with limited contact available through clamps) to actually get the starter to turn fast enough.

Many report here that they have no troubles with jump starting their ecu cars, either have I, however, that doesnt mean that damage to the ecus can not occur and is certainly not unknown. Perhaps spike protected leads would be a prudent choice.

Some other things I do/dont do:

1. Dont have ignition/enigne running on or any other accessories when connecting between the vehicles. This minimisese the voltage difference when connecting, which could be a source of a spike.
2. If time is available, start the engine of the donor vehicle and run it at 2000rpm for a couple of minutes or so. This will start to charge the battery of the other car, if its simply discharged. Even a couple of minutes of charging through a high powered car alternator could give the dead battery all it needs and/or make the subsequent jump start much easier.
3. When attempting to start the dead car, turn off the ignition of the donor car. This will again minimise any electrical spikes that could affect components on the donor car and a potentially damaging load on the alternator. Many like to keep the motor running on the donor car in fear that they may drain their own battery. If after 20 secs or so of cranking the dead car wont start, restart the donor car and charge up the battery for a couple of minutes before reattempting.

Last edited:

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
thanks man explained every question i had :)

Jo3_Blo

HZ Holden Fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
WB 1 Tonner, VS Ute
It seems that some people have suggested that connecting all four leads to the battery terminals is wrong, and that you should leave one lead on the ground or an engine part.

Have i misinterpreted what you said? Because to my knowledge, connecting up the batteeries using the leads, makes them part of a circuit, if you don't connect all the leads, then the circuit isn't complete and therefore rendered useless.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
^^^^ Like commsirac said, it does help with starting the flat car by putting the -V on the block somewhere. The battery - terminal is usually conected to the chasis by a small diameter wire(10mm) and the starter is earthed to the block. So by doing that you have a 50mm jump lead directly at the starters earth point and the flat battery will not suck up all the charge as it has to now go through a 10mm wire to make the charge cct, therefor making the jump more likely to be succesful straight up as opposed to somtimes having to wait a mintue then jumping. And also the hydrogen flame thing

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
They're talking about a grounding point on the car, like an unpainted metal surface.. the negative terminal of the battery is earthed to the chassis anyway so essentially all that is being achieved is a larger voltage drop due to the longer circuit, as was mentioned above.