Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can you mod the power steering to be lighter?

ascension24

Reaction score
My last two cars were both calais and im so use to the light steering, is there anyway to mod the VT exec pump as to make the steering lighter?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
smaller pulley on the pump, dunno never really heard of modding the power steer before

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
its not advisable, you can up the pressure by using a stronger pressure regulator spring which increases pump pressure..

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Find a variable assistance type rack, swap the droop valve (on the back of the pump where the high pressure hose screws in) also with one from a variable assistance system and use a Silicon Chip Independent Electronic Boost Controller to vary the assistance with engine load? (I can't think of a better signal for the IEBC; ideally you would want a road speed dependent variable duty cycle).

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Drill the release valve out thats what we do in the speedway cars and there is a pin in the rack you can knock out that helps this cause aswell but I havent had to do that so I dont kno were abouts the pin is.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Actually, having thought about it, you would only need the rack tower and flow control solenoid, not the whole rack, if going that route.

Swapping the droop valve achieves a similar result to drilling but the result will be more predictable.

If you don't care about varying the weight with speed and just want to increase the level of assistance overall, the SC Nitrous Fuel Controller could be used in place of the IEBC to set the weight to whatever you want it to be. You could even have a dial (changing a variable resistor wired into the NFC in place of the trim pot) in the car to vary the assistance "on the fly".

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
and bigger guns! PHWAOR!!! :D lol

Try driving a 1970 HG Premier with a 308 weighing down the front end without any power assistance at all!!!

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
you know.. one of the lightest cars i have ever driven was my old mans 63 impala. it had power steering fitted (im pretty sure it was factory) and for such a big car it felt as if you could steer it with a pinky!

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
you know.. one of the lightest cars i have ever driven was my old mans 63 impala. it had power steering fitted (im pretty sure it was factory) and for such a big car it felt as if you could steer it with a pinky!

take a new kluger for a drive, very unusual with the electric assisted power steer, at idle you could breathe on the wheel to turn it but when you start driving and getting faster it gets heavier, did i also mention that those 201kw klugers have BALLS!!!!! and sound nice to