Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can you paint chrome?

Magixxs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Basically i wanna paint a set of chrome 17s black. Is it possible to scuff the chrome and paint over it and the paint will last my moneys worth? Or is their better options available?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
depends on the "chrome" i tried grinding the chrome of two tiny strips of my window seal so i could weld two together and it was just fail. took ages, and that was with a grinding wheel on the angle grinder, try that on alloy and itll tear chunks off it. you could try an epoxy etch primer. not too sure what the result would be as i have never tried it before.

Snoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh rally car
I painted the bumpers on my VH rally car. I just rubbed them with green scotchbrite then
used a product call Wattle super etch. It is good stuff.
It didn't scratch off in the time I had the car. It is matt black, so if you want to use a gloss over that it shouldn't be a problem.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
I've seen chromed items powdercoated that hold up really well.

Though the base metal was steel underneath the chrome.

You could phone a powdercoating place for advice.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
the powdercoaters would sandblast it first. powder wouldnt stick to chrome in a million years

They did sandblast it first, but they didn't take the chrome off. Only roughen the surface of the chrome plating.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Considering the chrome on wheels looks like crap and starts flaking fairly quickly, I'd be tipping so will your paint.

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
it must be able to be done as i have seen rims painted with a kandy overlay with great effect. how they held up to the test of time, i dont know. guess it depends on the quality of the rim/chrome. the rims i had on my old ss i ran for 3 years. not one chip or flake and i done an average of 17000km a year on them. if it was me id be trying to get them painted with a black kandy to give it a true shadow chrome look (rather then the crap holden passes off as shadow chrome). probly best to speak to a panel shop that is right into custom work rather then just repairs

Faynt11

Feeder of Trolls
Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VE SV6 Ute
depends on the quality of the chrome, also using something highly abrasive i.e p120 grit paper sand the surface thoroughly.
Then use a 2k etch primer (important!) then prime, rub and paint.

In all honesty it's not worth the work, just pay a powdercoater to do it for you. it'll look better and last a lot longer.