Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can you replace 20" rims on lowered suspension with smaller rims and bigger profile tyres if so how do i calculate the numbers to find the right size

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Mine is on FE3 with the factory 19s and it’s firm without being harsh and almost never bottoms out on harsh road surfaces and that’s with the extra weight of the LPG tank in the back.

It does sit a bit lower than I would like at the back because of the LPG tank but I can like with that seeing as the ride is ok.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The commodore came out with a variety of wheels as standard and optional fitment and it’s all specified on the Road Vehicle Descriptor for each variant. So search through the list below to find the RVD for your specific year and model variant and that RVD will list standard and optional rim and type sizes front and rear (or both). The RVD also lists ride height amongst other things...

http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/pls/...ails?sCertID=44667&sMakeModel=HOLDEN+VF+P/CAR

If the RVD lists staggered wheels, not sure it’s the case with SSV, you theoretically can’t reduce the rear rim width but that view is a little contentious for some on this forum.... Once you know what is standard and optional for your model variant, you can then adjust aspect ratios and widths as allowed under modification rules...

Oh, and SS doesn’t have Brembo brakes but not sure if SSV is the same or gets the Brembos (the redline does). If you don’t have factory Brembos, that gives you a more freedom as to what size wheel will actually fit over your brakes as factory 18“ rims will fit over non Brembo brakes. And 18” rims will provide a more compliant ride with the matching height sidewall tyres (cheaper to buy as well).

But for many it all comes down to fashion so you can take it from here :cool:

PS: not all after market rims are built the same... Factory 20” rims are drop forged and much much stronger than cheap semi forged or spun rims. I think Simonds are spun and known for buckling...

Some people buy cheap factory drop forged wheels but they are counterfeit rims and just look factory but they aren’t strong... You do get what you pay for...

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The commodore came out with a variety of wheels as standard and optional fitment and it’s all specified on the Road Vehicle Descriptor for each variant. So search through the list below to find the RVD for your specific year and model variant and that RVD will list standard and optional rim and type sizes front and rear (or both). The RVD also lists ride height amongst other things...

http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/pls/...ails?sCertID=44667&sMakeModel=HOLDEN+VF+P/CAR

If the RVD lists staggered wheels, not sure it’s the case with SSV, you theoretically can’t reduce the rear rim width but that view is a little contentious for some on this forum.... Once you know what is standard and optional for your model variant, you can then adjust aspect ratios and widths as allowed under modification rules...

Oh, and SS doesn’t have Brembo brakes but not sure if SSV is the same or gets the Brembos (the redline does). If you don’t have factory Brembos, that gives you a more freedom as to what size wheel will actually fit over your brakes as factory 18“ rims will fit over non Brembo brakes. And 18” rims will provide a more compliant ride with the matching height sidewall tyres (cheaper to buy as well).

PS: not all after market rims are built the same... Factory 20” rims are drop forged and much much stronger than cheap semi forged or spun rims. I think Simonds are spun and known for buckling...

Some people buy cheap factory drop forged wheels but they are counterfeit rims and just look factory but they aren’t strong... You do get what you pay for...

Yeah, plenty of cheap OEM looking chinese cast copies around... :(

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Simmons known for buckling...New one to me....3 piece Simmons used to be known for leaking where the rim bolted together....

OP has already put 18" rims on...They commented on how different the car rode...It appears they are wanting the suspension upgrade and what to upgrade to

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Simmons known for buckling...New one to me....3 piece Simmons used to be known for leaking where the rim bolted together....
Back in the late 80's and early 90's, a mate had nothing but problems with buckling rims sections on his 3 piece Simmons wheels. And back then, aspect rations weren't as crazy low as they are today.

May be Simmons wheels have improved their product, may be not... But the simmonswheels.com.au web site is sparse on the construction methods used of the various sections. They say they are "using the same technology as F1 race wheels" but are they talking of 60's F1 technology or something more modern, I've no idea...

About the only mention of drop forged is on the "custom forged" product line page. So within the other wheel pages, if it doesn't say rim sections are drop forged, then they are probably spun which is better than cast but still not as strong as forged..

Heck, Simmons wheels don't even list which standards they meet, if any. Standards bodies include DOT, SAE, TUV, ISO * JWL all of which im not familair with. But i know SAE J2530 define testing impact strength and fatigue strength for aftermarket wheels. Not listing any standards is in my view poor form for a product they are too embarased to show the price on their web site... you have to enquire to find out how expensive they are...

Don't get me wrong, I've always liked the styling of their wheels but they just need to be more transparant about their construction, the standards they meet and their pricing before i can reconsider them as a great wheel since my mates experiances are hard to forget even after all these years ago ;)
OP has already put 18" rims on...They commented on how different the car rode...It appears they are wanting the suspension upgrade and what to upgrade to
Yeah when i skimed the thread i must have missed the post where he said ...
So an update, looking at getting 18 inch calais rims with 245/45/18s for the time being from wreckers. In good condition for a very reasonable price.
:
Feels great on the 18s with much larger sidewalls.
So good on him for buying factory rims :p

I still think it's imporatant for people to know how to find the standard and optional wheels and ride height info from the RVD as it's useful info.
Its also important for people to known that, AIUI, factory rims are tested to higher standards that aftermarket rims which in some cases aren't tested at all...

paulgar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 Calais V
I replaced my 20" rims with stock 18" with the larger police brakes.
The 18" Chevy police rims are available in the US. Sometimes for sale in Aust.
I prefer the stock ride height. If you're not living on the track, stock suspension FE2 or FE3 handles great.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I replaced my 20" rims with stock 18" with the larger police brakes.
The 18" Chevy police rims are available in the US. Sometimes for sale in Aust.
I prefer the stock ride height. If your not living on the track, stock suspension FE2 or FE3 handles great.
Do those steelies fit over brembos?

paulgar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 Calais V
I'm not sure. The steel rims is thinner than alloy. There might be enough space but the chevy ss forums might help.
You could email the ebay add and ask him the inside diameter of the rim.