Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can you run a alpine type R sub off a non class D amp????

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
my mates cooked his fusion encounter amp that was running his type R 12inch.
ive heard that the amp needs to be a digital class to be able to run it sufficiently?? is this true?
any helps appreciated.

cheers

Sir-Psycho-Sexy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL executive
subs don't need to be running off a class d amp

class d just means the circuitry inside the amp is different. the different circuitry makes them more efficient, so, in high power situations (powering subs) class d make much more power with out drawing as much power from your power supply.

killing an amp is very hard to do unless you have wired something incorrectly. if the voice coils of the sub were wired in parallel then that may have cooked the amp, that depends on what channel's they were running on (bridged or not) and what resistance the coils were.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
i think the wiring could of done it then. i think he was running both voice coils off one channel bridged off the amp. running at 4 ohms i wouldnt of thought it would be a problem running it like that???

Sir-Psycho-Sexy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL executive
uh can you repeat that:p

firstly, is it the dual 2ohm type R or the dual 4 ohm type R

What model amp is it?

you can't bridge one channel, it sounds like the coils were running parallel off one channel

Sir-Psycho-Sexy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL executive
Well this is what it sounds like to me,

most 4 channel amps are stable at 2ohm per channel but will only handle 4ohm when bridged. it sounds like the coils were wired parallel, effectively only having a resistance of 2ohm

so the sub wired at 2ohm + bridging the amp for a 2 ohm load = fudged amp:cry:

it it would have been able to play quite well but when it was played it for long periods or at extremely levels, the amp would have gotten super hot and died.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
it went hard as for about 3 weeks, then died in the hot weather the other day:p cheers for the explanation ill tell him to wire it up on seperate channels next time:thumbsup: or read the instruction manual hehe....

Sir-Psycho-Sexy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL executive
This is why cheap amps dont work as they are not stable at 1 ohms etc plus they are worked to there MAX, causing "CLIPPING" and/ or BURN OUT!!!

who are you?

fusion make quite solid amps and wiring dual 4 ohm coils in parallel only creat a 2 ohm circuit not 1 ohm.