Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cant get p-plate off

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
WD40 will get anything off... even your mum ;) haha

I take it it's not a strong magnet and it's more likely that it's baked onto the car?

haha +1 for mum joke

kid_720datto

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Hilux V6
thanks for all the opinions. im pretty sure it is baked on. will definitely try the wd 40. dont have any fishing line lyin around, lost all the rods on the last campin trip.
ill also search that other thread. let u no how i go

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Use an anti magnet lol , Use something like fishing line to lift a corner or something up i reckon would do the trick

kid_720datto

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Hilux V6
the wd-40 didnt work. just made it really shiny. ive picking at it with just my fingers and it keeps on crumbling and only the smallest little pieces come off. will def head out and get some fishing line today.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
The WD-40 needs to get between the plate and the car...... somehow. Maybe go buy some fishing line and see if you can get it lifted a bit, spray and lift, spray and lift.

oldbeer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
The trick is to be patient. It can be done without scratching your paintwork any more than it already has.

•The idea is to be gentle with it. Use soapy water and a soft, clean cloth to wash around the plate to start with.
•Get a hair dryer and heat the magnetic plate till it is pliable.
•Slowly lift the edge of the magnetic plate. You may need something firm to help lift it up. Something like a plastic ice-cream container lid cut in half.
•As the magnetic plate heats and becomes more pliable you can push the plastic underneath a little bit at a time.
•Try to keep it lubricated as you do that. Squeeze or spray some soapy water underneath as you go.
•Keep at it, bit by bit and hopefully it will come off without any more damage.
•Give the area a wash and polish to finish.

Never buy them again. Use p plate clips instead.