Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can't get reconditioned engine V6!

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
I took my automobile to local workshop, and their diagnosis was the engine is full of sludge,
not just the sump, but the galleries as well. They said the Ecotec would need replacing
sooner or later. But the surprising bit was their claim that one can't get a reconditioned
engine right now (in a city of more than a million people). Their recommendation was a
second-hand engine what would cost $3800 fitted. I remember seeing an ad somewhere
for reconditioned Commodore V6 $1995, but don't recall if that was the older donk.
I find it hard to believe that nobody has a VS V6 - it is hardly rare.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I have seen good second hand V6 motor sell for $300 to $600 private sale. Then add another couple of hundred for fitting.

This place in SA sells 5.0 V8 conversion kits for $2200 plus fitting - JUST COMMODORE SPARES :: Wheels

Shop around to get a better price.

Does the workshop have big windows ?? They may have seen you coming :rofl2:

Last edited:

jamessharks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S
Holden sells AC Delco Reco engines not sure about the cost though ... they are exchange though

tivoom

pimpin pizza wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Wagon
wow thats a joke mate it would cost less to pay some one to rebuiled the one you have with a few go bits put in for good times lol

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
go somewhere else, your mechanic is ripping you off, im a mechanic and im not in the bussness of ripping people off.

RUN THE BLOODY ENGINE ON DIESEL ENGINE OIL, that will clean it out, also if you are too scaired of the diesel oil run the nurlon cleaner stuff through it, problem solved. may take awhile for it to come clean but its better than saying you need a new engine because its gumed up. thats just crap.

im running my vr 6 on diesel oil now and i cant notice any diffrence in engine noise. its getting verry clean tho

a.j

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore S 5-speed
go somewhere else, your mechanic is ripping you off, im a mechanic and im not in the bussness of ripping people off.
I totally agree with that statement aswell,

im a mechanic myself and i know of a fair few people in my area that do these sort of prices for jobs like an engine.

i bourght a new motor for my VR, it was $660 (very low k's, and they proved it) and it took me a weekend to do the change over.

its pretty simple, i cant see the value in a quote like that.

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
running diesel oil cleans it??:S what if i mix diesel fuel in for a little while before an oil change?

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Followup to various replies:
This dealer does have big windows, and also has a brass plaque on the wall saying the building was opened by the state premier, so I guess they are suspect.
I tried cleaning the engine, drained while hot: then filling with kerosene, then draining - it came out black.Then changed oil filter, then run 15 minutes
on home-brand oil with a bottle of "oil flush" additive, drained it, this time it was clean. Change filter again and add proper grade oil, but oil
pressure is still low.
Anyway, I found some wreckers offering cheap engine swaps, but they weren't so new - like 150-160 thouand km. One of them said you can't use a VT motor
in a VS - there are some minor differences. But the dealer reckoned VT engine was same. Who is right? What about the VS utes that were made
after the VT sedan came out?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I have a reconditioned engine in my VS from Redlands engines in Brisbane ,and I went to buy a water pump, and the local holden dealer needed my engine number because apparently after a certain build,the VS water pump was changed somehow.I went out and got the engine number and gave it to him and he looked at his computer for a bit, then said the engine was a VX engine.It used the later type water pump.I asked him if he was sure and he said he was,the engine number confirmed it he reckoned.I told him it was a reconditioned engine and he said yeah,they are all pretty much the same.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
Followup to various replies:
This dealer does have big windows, and also has a brass plaque on the wall saying the building was opened by the state premier, so I guess they are suspect.
I tried cleaning the engine, drained while hot: then filling with kerosene, then draining - it came out black.Then changed oil filter, then run 15 minutes
on home-brand oil with a bottle of "oil flush" additive, drained it, this time it was clean. Change filter again and add proper grade oil, but oil
pressure is still low.
Anyway, I found some wreckers offering cheap engine swaps, but they weren't so new - like 150-160 thouand km. One of them said you can't use a VT motor
in a VS - there are some minor differences. But the dealer reckoned VT engine was same. Who is right? What about the VS utes that were made
after the VT sedan came out?

A 15 min engine flush is not going to clean it out properly....
sounds like the oil pump could be blocked or not working best would be to remove the sump and give everything there a clean.
My VR needs a oil change more often due to it not been serviced by the original owner as a result it is full of crap.