Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can't install XP onto OS

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
i need a computer nerd. i just got given a relatively new computer from a bloke on council but he erased the whole HD before i got it. there is no windows of any description. only the OS. i went into the setup and have got the system to read of the cd-rom. i have put the xp disc in and rebooted. it comes up with a blue screen with 'windows setup' written in the top left corner. at the bottom it says 'setup is loading files (blah blah)' for a little while going through different files but then it stops with 'setup is starting windows' on the bottom of the screen. problem being windows never starts. it stays with that screen for hours. i have tried it several times but it progresses no further everytime. WHAT CAN I DO? :bang:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
use ubuntu, nice simple install and it isnt windows :)

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
what on earth is ubuntu?

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
you may want to check out this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310760
It matches the problem that you described.

What type of Hard Drive is in the computer, is it an IDE (Flat Ribbon Cable)drive or SATA (Small Cable, Usually Red or Orange).

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
dude pm me this is what I get paid for. Press F6 during the install and then hit escape. Are you able to create a partition or does it just get stuck?

The more details you give me the better i can help you. If that doesn't work (above) then if it has two sticks of ram remove one then swap with the other. From what i read above holden supporter knows about this problem and is onto it.

BTW minux is listing a linux operating system (linux being the alternative to windows)

N.B. Anyone who likes commodores who also knows how to work computers is a bogan not a nerd :)

Tekka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VR Commodore
Xp is the OS, OS being Operating System, that what Xp is!, so how can there be only a OS and no xp? Unless its an old OS and u want to have XP on instead?

But if he has wiped the HD meaning hes formatted then it wont have anything on it, so it would be a straight install of the operating system

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Don't worry about Minux hes just preaching :) I used to be like that 10 years ago too but you have to learn to draw the line, I'm sure someone that says they need a nerd isn't wanting to be a nerd and run Linux

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Don't worry about Minux hes just preaching :) I used to be like that 10 years ago too but you have to learn to draw the line, I'm sure someone that says they need a nerd isn't wanting to be a nerd and run Linux

no, people who run ubuntu arn't eal nerds at all... there just people that dont want to use windows because they think thye are better than that... real nerds dont bother with precompiled crap.... nerds use gentoo..... you dont know what that is, you arn't a nerd.

this guy doesn't need ubuntu... as its harder to install than windows, he'd be fuk'd...... point is.... i couldn't understand what he was trying to say about his omputer.... just put the CD in and go... windows does all formatting these days...

aZk.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
turns out the 2 HD's are dead. plus the CPU may be stuffed too.

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
turns out the 2 HD's are dead. plus the CPU may be stuffed too.

Sorry to hear that.I hope you didn't pay too much for it as cpu's are damm expensive to replace.