Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Audio 101: The Fundamentals

Sebastian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTS Commodore
hi ive got a stock VT commo and was just wondering what would be involved in installing a pair of 6x9's and whether this would be effective given im running them off the eurovox headunit? would i have to get a new headunit?

ascension24

Reaction score
12voltking, if you start a thread bout myth debunking count me in.

I'll guarantee their wont be a single unanswered question, and ill provide all technical details to prove or disprove the myth.

EG. Something that people dont understand about clipping is, when a signal goes into clipping, it starts deforming from a sin wave, to a square wave. Keeping the signal clean is important because one thing speakers are designed to do is to cool down by moving in and out (from going positive to negative in the sin wave)

Now if the signal starts clipping and starts to becomes a square wave, the amp starts seeing something that looks like a DC signal at the extremes of the wave.
What this does, is keeps the cone of the speaker pushed all the way out or all the way in, not a big problem in itself.

The problem is, all this power is going through the coils but since the speaker isnt moving now, it cant dissipate the heat.

No heat dissapation means your speakers internals start to over heat. Blown voice coil/melted cone etc etc...

Now all this may be hard to understand, but with some pictures thrown in, it will be simple for all to understand

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
Another myth is that rear 6x9"s are the be-all and end-all. I have them in mine and I hate them, haha. All the fun is in the sub and front stage. AMP your front stage and run the rears off the HU if you have to. Not the other way around. Rear fill is a nice addition but shouldn't overpower anything. You should be barely aware of your rears running at all.