Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car bottoms out, why? and whats the go on second hand shockers?

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Just try putting in a new(er) set of shocks in the back, should give you another inch or so if your old shocks are shagged out.

justincredible

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6 Calais V
if you are not sure what the problem is, it will only cost you a whole 14 bucks to get pedders to hoist the car up and check it over. They'll let you know of any other issues too. I know it probably sounds like I work for them or something but it is a pretty sweet deal. It doesn't mean you have to get them to fix your car!
I personally would steer clear from 2nd hand suspension components. Whats 100 bucks when you are really buying safety, performance, and in some cases comfort.

shifty6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 5spd
new shocks wont make your car any higher. they dont take any of the weight of the car, they just oppose quick movements either up or down.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Just try putting in a new(er) set of shocks in the back, should give you another inch or so if your old shocks are shagged out.

New shocks unless they are air shocks and you pump them up won't increase the ride height you need new springs to do this.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
if you are not sure what the problem is, it will only cost you a whole 14 bucks to get pedders to hoist the car up and check it over. They'll let you know of any other issues too. I know it probably sounds like I work for them or something but it is a pretty sweet deal. It doesn't mean you have to get them to fix your car!
I personally would steer clear from 2nd hand suspension components. Whats 100 bucks when you are really buying safety, performance, and in some cases comfort.

You can rest assured if you take it there you will get the hard sell and a list of repairs into the thousands and most of the things will not need to be done. If you take it there be very very careful.

mitchy_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn s pack 5spd/ vs calais S1
hrmm pedders is jst around the crn, i'll giv it ago some time this week and see what they say. thanks guys. I'll let u kno wah happens

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
new shocks wont make your car any higher. they dont take any of the weight of the car, they just oppose quick movements either up or down.
They do take some weight. Notice a brand new set of shocks will always push outwards (extend itsself).

Try it, I put new KYBs in the back of my VS a few days ago. Factory springs, nothing changed but the shocks. And it gained about an inch and a half.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
hrmm pedders is jst around the crn, i'll giv it ago some time this week and see what they say. thanks guys. I'll let u kno wah happens

Just get the report and don't commit to have any work done until you have had some feedback here or a second opinion. I got a $14 check on my VN and it came back with about $2000 of repairs urgently needed, funny though seeings it got a pink slip that morning!
They also state clearly that in their report they only indicate things that will fail within 6 months, I sold the car over 2 years later and none of the things thay said were wrong except for the bearing plates ever needed to be replaced.

mitchy_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn s pack 5spd/ vs calais S1
mmm interesting .. yeh i'll jst get a check up. Plus what ever work they do is overpriced i wud think. Il giv em a go see what they sus out

az_sv6

coudnt aford a v8
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
the springs might be to low for the shocks maybe? and they pop out when the car hits the bump?